Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiovalleygardener

Anyone have a functioning sink for their garden?

ohiovalleygardener
13 years ago

I would love a sink hooked to my hose outside to clean up hands, veggies, shoes and grandkids. We have a Habitat for Humanity resourse store near us that has all kinds of sinks. Many of the old porcelien bathroom sinks for about $10.00.

If anyone has a functional sink they use outside please tell me what type of sink it is and how you attached it to your house and hose? I have a plan to make it a cute area with a lattice 2 sided divider around it so it isn't visible from the busy street that runs by our house. I think it will work out well if I can figure out how to attach it. Thanks in advance for any help. Vicci

Comments (16)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Hi Vicci~

I don't have a functioning sink, but I wish I did! My Dad used to have one outside and he ran the water pipes just like you would for the inside...he used a pedestal type sink, but any would do. He just had to make sure to remember to turn the water line off during the winter and drain the line. I'm thinking that if you put "sink" into the search bar, you may find some other ideas as well.

Let us see a picture of what you end up doing....I may need to "borrow" your idea!

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

It's not outside but no plumbing in this out-building. The cold water line is pvc that goes to the other end of building and through the wall where it is attached to a water hose. They sell the PVC fittings that make this possible.
    {{gwi:141886}}From Chick coop

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting that pic! I'm posting another link as well, that I found. Funny story...I was GSing yesterday with my BF, and we had just about packed the station wagon to full, and at the last GS we stopped at, there was a stainless steel kitchen sink that the guy threw in for free! So apparently, on that GS trip we got everything AND the kitchen sink!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Practical Garden Sink Garden

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

At one time I was going to hook up an outside laundry sink to use outdoors and I was researching facects and parts on Lowes and I remember a faucet avail with a hose conn on the underside to hood up your water to and another for the drain to attach a waste hose to. Check around you should turn up something. In the winter you just disconnect the hose.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

I did one out side of my door that go to my studio .I have a water facet and I hooked it up there I also made my own facet with an out door fac.I used pvc .It is also a pedestal type sink,I have a hose running under the ground to some plants .I will try to take a pic .

• lee1990
    13 years ago

I have tired to load a picture with no results, but I took a 4 dollar sink that came with an old facet and attached a flexible line to a tee on the hose spout, so I can still use the hose. The sink sits on 2 large metal brackets. For the drain I just used an old chimmy fue filled with rocks. I works great. Will keep trying to load pics.

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

Please do!! I would love to see pix of things in action. My brain is working overtime trying to figure out how to make this work!

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Try attaching a multi-spigot to your outdoor spigot and then just run a PVC line to the sink. This is how they did the water to my greenhouse. I still have one unused outlet on a four-outlet spigot and I was going to run a line to a sink. The sink need to be attached to the house using brackets designed to hold the fixture. It will depend on the type of sink you buy. If it's a lightweight one it will be easier to hang.

Also if you have brick or frame house will determine the type of connecters you use. When I don't know I always ask one of the guys at work or someone at the Lowes or HD. Steer clear of anyone with zits, they don't know a flue from a screw, bless their little pea-pickin' hearts. If you do ask someone at the store, look for a man or woman who is slightly older, and who is working in the hardware or plumbing department. Cheryl

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

Here's a hose splitter.

Here is a link that might be useful: hose splitter

• ohiovalleygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are great. All kinds of ideas. I guess I didn't think about the drain, just thought it would run out onto the ground. HMMM. that could make a muddy mess. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience with a newbie. Vicci

• lee1990
    13 years ago

Ok, it worked. The large brackets are just screwed into the fence and sink just rests on them. The flex line is only connected to the cold water side. This was very simple to put together,easier then posting a pic here.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:154298}}

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

lee1990..congrats on posting the pic! It's great! The old chimney flue filled with rocks is a GREAT idea for the drainage! Pretty area there! TFS! Jeanne S.

• leafaholic
    13 years ago

Now you come up with the idea of a garden sink! I just had hubby plug a hole in an old very large basin so I can mosaic it for a fountain. But a decorated sink is now on my to-do list

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I always loved Cindee's sink fountain (I hope she doesn't mind if I post it). This is from Purplemoon's Garden Junk Inspiration Albums.

{{gwi:154304}}

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Lee, your whole set up is wonderful. If you ever want to post the pic right into the message you just copy the html code and paste it in. It will look like gobblydegook until you preview then you see the pic (hopefully).
    Now I want a heavy duty 4 way splitter and a sink. We have a plastic 2 way but one one shoots up into the air. Our outside faucet is at a funny angle and not very good, but it does work and at least we have one. Replacing the faucet just isn't on the priority list. But people talking about pvc has me thinking we could rig up something to make the current faucet more useful.
    Thanks everyone for great ideas!
    Kathy

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

I want to set up a laundry sink and utilize somehow the hose. You can set up a bucket underneath the drain hole and repurpose the water if your only washing dirt off.

But after reading all the posts something came to mind. When I go to the Renaissance faire they have these portable sink where you press at the bottom a pump and the water comes out the nozzle....could be a good idea for backyards eh?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:154303}}

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County