Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandelion_2009

RE-trying for yard sale find

dandelion_2009
12 years ago

I paid $1 for this fisher & price house at the yard sale. I'd like to turn it into a fairy house. It is large but the price was right. :) This will sit outside, so I'm wondering what is the best glue? Any ideas for the outside and the inside

{{gwi:154422}}

I've started painting it green what color do you think I should paint the door? I'm just fishing for some ideas. :)

{{gwi:154423}}

Comments (17)

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

I bought two similar toy houses last week at a garage sale with the intention of making them into outdoor fairy houses too.

I'm thinking about using cooper for the roof. DBF suggested using model paint. I was hoping for a more natural look but have no clue on how to achieve that on a plastic surface. Hopefully we'll get lots of good ideas from the creative people here.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Great start for a fairy house.

Rustoleum has a line of spray paint called "Fusion" that is designed for outdoor plastics. I use it on planters and all kinds of stuff. Doesn't peel or flake at all. For a more natural look, I use two different colors. The second color is lighter and just used as highlights. You can also use Rustoleum "textured multicolor" spray paint for a natural two tone look. It's more expensive, but might be worth it.

For glue I would use the GEII clear silicone caulk that is highly recommended on this forum for outdoor use.

Shirley

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

There's also a paint sold at Michael's called "Patio Paint" that works on plastic too. This is in little bottles like craft paint and can be applied with a brush.

If you want to do a copper look, you can get the "copper patina" paint or kit at Michael's.

dandelion - I like how painting the house a single color makes the nice details show. Turquoise would be great for the doors, but I live in the Southwest. You could also do red or dark green. The green is so neutral, it's good to make the trim features pop somehow.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Rust might look good with the greens you are using. I love Patio paints & they hold up very well. If you want an antique look or "older" look on roof use some copper or "Rich Espresso" patio paint. pour little out on Styrofoam or paint tray & barely get some on small brush maybe even wiping it across a paper towel & then go down the roof top to bottom of each shingle to get the look you want. A light hand will get just a little effect. More paint & little heavier hand will make it more toned but easy to overdo so have damp cloth, paper towel or sponge handy to wipe off anything too heavy looking. Have fun! Jan

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

That is a great find for a fairy house. I like the contrasting doors. And Fairies like bright colors too.
    We have a few fairy houses in our GJ inspiration album,
    tho nothing like yours. But they still might give you some ideas. "Vines" growing up them and accessories.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Fairy n Gnome Inspiration Album

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Very cute. I never would have thought the plastic house could look so good for fairiees.
    Kathy

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

Ooh - what about gold for the doors? It's a fairy mansion = )

• alaMel
    12 years ago

I think a lemony yellow would look good on the doors. JMO

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

Karen, thanks for posting the link to the GJ Fairy n Gnome inspiration album. Great ideas!

• dandelion_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Loved all of your ideas :) and Karen (hugs) thanks for the link oh my I loved so many of their fairy houses, villages!! I commented on a few but believe me I looked at everyone! I'll be sure to go back to that site. Thanks Again for all the great ideas.

• excessfroufrou
    12 years ago

That is adorable and is coming along nicely. I always think of natural things when it comes to fairies. I wonder how it would look with sheet moss for the roof??? Or at least on the floor of the balcony.
    Frou

• dandelion_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have live moss growing in one area of my yard that's the yard that I'm putting my fairy house in. I am going to use the moss somewhere in the house. I think that would look great too!

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

Hey Dandelion,

I'm curious how the fairy house is progressing. Any new pics for us?

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

I would go to the woods and find pieces of bark to glue to the roof and along the edge of the upper "deck". The "deck" itself looks like a lovely place for some moss.

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Some of the best exterior glues I have found are E-6000, and GE Exterior Adhesive for Windows and Doors. I especially love the E-6000 which is available everywhere. I get it at Wal-Mart in the Crafts section.

Also copper- The home stores like Menard's and Home Depot have those vinyl tiles for ceiling and kitchen, that look like copper. You could get some of those and make roofing tiles with them. Just cut to the desired size and shape with shears. You'll find lots of ideas in the vinyl tile section.
    -Sprout

• organizedsarah
    12 years ago

Adorable fairy house. I'm a red door kind of person, so I vote for a deep red door. I love the idea of moss on the roof, too! Can't wait to see pics as you get more done!

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

I'll second the E-6000 glue - I've never had much luck with the silicone stuff everyone else seems to like.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?