Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RE-trying for yard sale find

Posted by dandelion_2009 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 19:32

I paid $1 for this fisher & price house at the yard sale. I'd like to turn it into a fairy house. It is large but the price was right. :) This will sit outside, so I'm wondering what is the best glue? Any ideas for the outside and the inside

Paid $1 going to turen this house into a Fairy House

I've started painting it green what color do you think I should paint the door? I'm just fishing for some ideas. :)

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RE-trying for yard sale find

I bought two similar toy houses last week at a garage sale with the intention of making them into outdoor fairy houses too.

I'm thinking about using cooper for the roof. DBF suggested using model paint. I was hoping for a more natural look but have no clue on how to achieve that on a plastic surface. Hopefully we'll get lots of good ideas from the creative people here.

o

Great start for a fairy house.

Rustoleum has a line of spray paint called "Fusion" that is designed for outdoor plastics. I use it on planters and all kinds of stuff. Doesn't peel or flake at all. For a more natural look, I use two different colors. The second color is lighter and just used as highlights. You can also use Rustoleum "textured multicolor" spray paint for a natural two tone look. It's more expensive, but might be worth it.

For glue I would use the GEII clear silicone caulk that is highly recommended on this forum for outdoor use.

Shirley

o
RE: More info

There's also a paint sold at Michael's called "Patio Paint" that works on plastic too. This is in little bottles like craft paint and can be applied with a brush.

If you want to do a copper look, you can get the "copper patina" paint or kit at Michael's.

dandelion - I like how painting the house a single color makes the nice details show. Turquoise would be great for the doors, but I live in the Southwest. You could also do red or dark green. The green is so neutral, it's good to make the trim features pop somehow.

o

Rust might look good with the greens you are using. I love Patio paints & they hold up very well. If you want an antique look or "older" look on roof use some copper or "Rich Espresso" patio paint. pour little out on Styrofoam or paint tray & barely get some on small brush maybe even wiping it across a paper towel & then go down the roof top to bottom of each shingle to get the look you want. A light hand will get just a little effect. More paint & little heavier hand will make it more toned but easy to overdo so have damp cloth, paper towel or sponge handy to wipe off anything too heavy looking. Have fun! Jan

o

That is a great find for a fairy house. I like the contrasting doors. And Fairies like bright colors too.
We have a few fairy houses in our GJ inspiration album,
tho nothing like yours. But they still might give you some ideas. "Vines" growing up them and accessories.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Fairy n Gnome Inspiration Album

o

Very cute. I never would have thought the plastic house could look so good for fairiees.
Kathy

o

Ooh - what about gold for the doors? It's a fairy mansion = )

o

I think a lemony yellow would look good on the doors. JMO

o

Karen, thanks for posting the link to the GJ Fairy n Gnome inspiration album. Great ideas!

o

Loved all of your ideas :) and Karen (hugs) thanks for the link oh my I loved so many of their fairy houses, villages!! I commented on a few but believe me I looked at everyone! I'll be sure to go back to that site. Thanks Again for all the great ideas.

o

That is adorable and is coming along nicely. I always think of natural things when it comes to fairies. I wonder how it would look with sheet moss for the roof??? Or at least on the floor of the balcony.
Frou

o

I have live moss growing in one area of my yard that's the yard that I'm putting my fairy house in. I am going to use the moss somewhere in the house. I think that would look great too!

o

Hey Dandelion,

I'm curious how the fairy house is progressing. Any new pics for us?

o

I would go to the woods and find pieces of bark to glue to the roof and along the edge of the upper "deck". The "deck" itself looks like a lovely place for some moss.

o

Some of the best exterior glues I have found are E-6000, and GE Exterior Adhesive for Windows and Doors. I especially love the E-6000 which is available everywhere. I get it at Wal-Mart in the Crafts section.

Also copper- The home stores like Menard's and Home Depot have those vinyl tiles for ceiling and kitchen, that look like copper. You could get some of those and make roofing tiles with them. Just cut to the desired size and shape with shears. You'll find lots of ideas in the vinyl tile section.
-Sprout

o

Adorable fairy house. I'm a red door kind of person, so I vote for a deep red door. I love the idea of moss on the roof, too! Can't wait to see pics as you get more done!

o

I'll second the E-6000 glue - I've never had much luck with the silicone stuff everyone else seems to like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here