Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonergirl1968

Fun with window boxes...

soonergirl1968
13 years ago

Since I finished my project yesterday, I lifted my self-imposed "junking" restriction and picked up some old redwood window boxes I had been eyeing at a thrift store this morning. I wanted to do SOMETHING to help hide my AC units without restricting airflow. After work, I went by Lowe's and found some ceiling fan extender poles marked down from $15 to $1.09 on the clearance rack. I painted the poles, attached them to the window boxes, pounded them into the ground and planted some purslane. I realize you can still COMPLETELY see the units, but I figured it was better than before. I think it will look nice once the flowers fill in and spill over the sides. Anyway...

Here is the before...

{{gwi:154952}}

And, after...

{{gwi:154954}}

Now, if I could just hide all that other stuff on the walls!! :)

Comments (11)

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

What air conditioner, what stuff? More fun than a standard fence. That looks awesome and even more amazing you did it after work.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

That looks really great .You could do what I am doing I am raping a piece of lattice around it and put your boxes in front of it all. will get a pic soon.

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

I love portulaca, those will look really nice.

If you're wanting to block the whole area I'm wondering if a section of fence placed in front of it all (giving the a/c units plenty of room and allowing access all around of course) wouldn't work for you there. It might look nice as a backdrop for your pretty flowers, too. And a little piece of fence is such a handy place to hang interesting junk. Just a thought.

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Nanatricia, my first thought was lattice also!

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Nice! This will distract from the A/C and make it "PURTY"
    when the flowers grow and spill over!

Nanagrandma/Sylvia

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I really like what you did with the window boxes. Ceiling fan extensions, huh? Who would have thought? lol! I'd go with some fencing so you could hang junk on it too unless it would really make your yard look teeny-tiny. You could hang planted rain gutters on a length of fence to complement the window boxes.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Those are super. That was a very creative way to use the ceiling fan extenders and boy were they a deal.
    Frou

• soonergirl1968
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all! My original thought was to make a folding type screen out of old fence pickets but my dad poo-poo'd the idea (for air circulation reasons) and although I am in my forties... he is my dad. :) So I thought of the planter boxes and hope once the plants in the bed mature, they will fill in the area under the boxes. You did get me thinking though... metal fireplace screens/wall decor/votive holders, etc might look really cool sticking up from the back of each planter. Hmmmm... may have to think on that! :)

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

GReat idea! I like how it looks.

About the other stuff on the back wall, I notice that the one wire that is a dark read hardly shows. Can you paint all the stuff to match your pretty wall? It will still show, but be more backgroundy.

Kathy

• soonergirl1968
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What a concept... PAINT!! You are exactly right! Why didn't I think on that? Good project for early tomorrow morning!! And, I still have paint from the trim on the house! Yea!! Thank you, Kathy!!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I was just thinking 'paint' when I read Kathy's post. LOL.
    That dk red one hardly showed, and you still having trim paint is perfect. I bet it will make a huge difference!
    Photos please ;o). Your new flower boxes are pretty, and once the flowers really grow will work great.

Karen

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting