Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Tipsy Buckets Overflowing!

jeannespines
13 years ago

These are the tipsy buckets blooming like crazy in this hot/humid/rainy weather here in Iowa! Made this GJ last yr but planted diff flowers this yr in May...and definitely they like the full sun ..pic taken today.

Wave Petunias, Dusty Miller & Lobelia:

{{gwi:138534}}

The watering can idea I got off the GJ forum here some time ago...(maybe cindee's?) ...& this old watering can bit the dust finally & it meant alot to me cause my Dad had got it for me at a GS many yrs ago. Beads are glass beads on wire. Thanks for lookin'! Jeanne S.

Comments (21)

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

Beautiful!! Bravo!! I love the old watering cans--I have one planted that was my moms and she has been gone 36 years! I took my tipsys down because I didn't keep them watered enough.

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Oh how GORGEOUS, Jeanne! Those are some very happy flowers!! I think I need a galvanized tipsy collection!

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

WOW --- Now THAT is awesome !!! I mean -- AWESOME Jeanne!!

Ok -- nosey me -- is it made the same way as tipsy pots ? -- I see holes drilled in the watering cans. It's just the cans threaded onto a pole like the pots ,right ?

I hope you won't mind if I borrow this idea - for next summer. :) My tipsy pots just went wacko ...turned icky .
    I can start collecting watering cans ! Thanks for the inspiration !

Kathy

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Beautiful photo, and how clever that the bottom bucket looks like water splashing out!! Very nice, very artistic.
    -Sprout

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Its soooo beautiful!
    I love the old watering can. I have a couple but didn't plant up this year. Too many house repairs and other stuff :( to do. But next year may be pink wave petunias for me too! I love how they look falling out of yours.
    Kathy

• luvs2click
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Jeanne - old galvanized is my favorite color!

• kacram
    13 years ago

great!!!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, GJers, for your gracious comments...yup, it does need watering every day (except this past week...where it's rained every day! It's just one of those "to-do" list thing-ies in the mornings...along with watering the Mandevilla Vine in the door arbor.

TMG...I put the original link below for ya...yeah, drilled holes & metal rod...if I were to do over, the 2nd one from top needed tilted more...the water runs out of that one easily when I do water...I also used some spaghnum moss to help retain moisture. Yup, just like the original tipsy pot ones! And, Cindee, was the inspiration for this one...she comments & her blog is ont he original posting last yr (below). So, thanks, Cindee! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tipsy Buckets Project (original one May 09)

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

(((((((((((( HUGS )))))))))) thank you !

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

They look just great this year Jeanne! Beautiful choice of flowers!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

OMGoodness, that is beeee-u-tiful! I'm a flower girl all the way, every year I say I'm going to do less, but it hasn't happened yet. This is the first year I've had petunias do well, they ar the "Wave" kind. I love the watering cans for tipsy totems. I have not made one yet, but I did buy some adorable tiny little watering cans and I am going to try to make a tipsy sort of rain chain out of them. Your flowers are lovely and like you it's worth all the watering. We have a sprikler syestem, but DH and I still water things it doesn't reach everyday.
    Frou

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, Jeanne, but what isn't in your yard! I continually drool at the photos in your albums. Especially your pond.
    Please adopt me!!!!!!

hugs, Karen

• soonergirl1968
    13 years ago

So so cute!! Your flowers are beautiful!!

• Kathryn Botard
    13 years ago

SWEET! I came here tonight looking for an idea for the top of my tipsy pot I just made this evening and looky, looky. I have an old watering can that would work great!

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

Jeannie.....so very beautiful and colorful! I found a stake with a 4 prong end a couple of weekends ago when I was hacking away underneath a Norfolkpine that was wedged up against the trunk in my mom's yard. Think it is a perfect base for a tipsy something. May try my hand at it.

(p.s. I planted some purple petunias last summer in a Mexican Pottery Swan planter that I bought outside of Ensenada Mexico for my mom about a gazillion years ago, but it got ratty by this summer is there a trick to petunia's?)

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Gorgeous tipsy pots! I love this different take on them. And I had to scroll back up to look at the picture after reading sprout_wi's comment about the bottom bucket looking like water splashing out. I agree, the dusty miller does look like splashes of water. It looks like it is well worth the extra effort to water it. It looks beautiful. TFS!

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Soooo Beautiful! Congratulations for keeping yours blooming! As a matter of fact today I replanted my regular planter one with succulents hope they can become as interesting as yours!
    Sylvia

• VickyShaffer
    11 years ago

How do you water? From the top? Or each bucket individually? Thanks....this is SOOOOO cute!

• rafor
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I find tipsy pots difficult to water. I did see a blog somewhere and the lady put in a plastic water gadget that you fill so water gets to the roots rather than just running over the edge of the pot.

• Crafty Gardener
    11 years ago

I water my tipsy pots carefully. I have some plastic spouts you push into the ground (from Lee Valley) and fill each one with water so the water goes to the bottom of the pot. I don't fill the pot to the brim, but level it out a bit below the rim (not level with the pot, but the ground). A link to my blog might help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potting up the Tipsy

• rafor
    11 years ago

Yes craftygardener, it was your website I saw. Thanks for posting the link!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert