Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5' solar totem

Posted by tbledsaw 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 20:14

I've been chomping at the bit to get this done. I actually made a gazing ball to put on top, but I couldn't get it to sit right on the pipe, so I opted to go with all glass. I feared the heavy ball would fall off and break the glass.

There are solar lights in both of the yellow globes. It's about 5' tall total.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5' solar totem

That's awesome. I love the amber glass. So you can take it apart to change the lights when necessary?
Kathy

o

WOW! I also wondered about the lights.

o

MORE IS MORE!!! Love the height and colors!

o

Very cool!!

o

Thanks guys! Yes, I should be able to take it apart to change the lights. I did use some of the GE Silicone II on some of it though. The lights are lit up tonight! Love it :o)

o

I always thought it would be awesome to make a tall totem but it seems impossible if one just adheres the pieces together. It looks like you have rebar or some kind of rod running through the pieces. Did you have to drill at all or are those lamp parts that came with an opening in the middle? I'm assuming the blue piece is like a hurricane candle shade. Cool idea and I bet it looks stunning lit up at night!

o

Lovely & original!!Nice addition to your yard! Jan

o

This is great! I thought the glass needed to be clear for the solar light to light, but apparently not. Good job!

o

I bet that is stunning at night. Nice job!

Karen

o

Thanks guys :o)

Yes, the amber ones are lamp parts, the blue is a hurricane lamp and the top one is a small vase.
I placed small rubber gaskets between the larger parts to help cushion it. Plus I used the GE Silicone II for support. There is a 5/8" outer diameter pipe running through them that fit perfectly in the lamp pieces.

I think it needs more lights inside of it. It's really not so stunning at night, however it's in a really dark spot in my yard where there isn't any outside light to help illuminate it.

I still love it though :o)

o

Being vertically challenged myself, I really go for the tall totems. Those are some super lamp parts. And I love the mosiac piece. Great job.
Frou

o

Love the idea of the taller totem and the lights inside! Yours is very pretty....love the amber pieces too and the mosaiced hurricane...great job! Thanks for sharing with us.

o

• Posted by sorie6 Zone4 Colo (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 18:23

Very pretty. Great job!!

OH what a great idea. I want to try that. TFS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here