Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popmama

Interesting garden junk

I'm not sure what these are. I got them at an estate sale. They are old, made of some sort of metal then painted blue. I think they are yard markers or maybe they really are just ornaments.

{{gwi:155263}}

Comments (18)

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

Can not tell you what they are, but I certainly would have bought them!!! They will add a pop somewhere in your garden. Reminds me of my Mom, may she rest in peace, if it stood still long enough it got painted blue! I have pops of blue all thru out my garden which is a nice daily reminder of my Mom.
    Have fun with them because they really are cool. Great find!

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

I'd have fun with those!! Could leave them like they are or paint them bright colors & place around the garden. Could paint flowers on them. I guess you could cover 1 with pennies, wouldn't take near as many as a bowling ball. Could mosaic couple if you do that. Have fun!! Jan

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Oldcrafty, We could tell what year my dad painted the garden stuff by the color! LOL!
    There was the turquoise year, the redwood brown/red year, the green year etc.... Nancy

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

Yep, those would have come home with me too! LOVE them!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I wonder if they're old golf course tee markers.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I see a caterpillar waiting to be born!!

• dajsnipe
    9 years ago

Given the color, size, and material I would say runway markers. Pretty cool.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I thought they were the decorative 'end caps' for a metal daybed frame. I have a few and they look almost just like that.

Caterpillar is a great idea!

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Definitely not end caps. They are very big and have a sharp stake at the end. They were meant for some sort of outdoor use. Just not sure what.

I like the idea of runway markers, but couldn't find anything similar on line.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I thought they were to guide a garden hose away from your flowerbed. But golf markers makes a lot of sense.

Original Author
    9 years ago

They may very well have been hose guides. I'm not sure at all. I wish I knew for sure, but probably never will. :-)

• rwrobinsnest
    9 years ago

Great find. Id also guess end caps to something. You can see they were attached to something circular in shape at some point. Maybe wood material or stucco, thus the spike to attach. Probably something commercial, retail display, for parking lots or kids amusement, Im thinking Chucky Cheese or Putt-Putt type places.
    Either way, Best luck w/ your trash to treasure.

• jayceca
    9 years ago

They look like they came from an old bed, top of the bedposts. The bed frame would be metal.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I can assure you they are not from a bedpost. They are WAY too big. I'm sure they were always something used outdoors.

I actually drove by a golf course the other day and saw some markers for the first time. I think this is probably the correct answer!

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Very interesting.
    Maybe spray with glow in the dark paint.
    We live out in the middle of no where I might
    use them to mark our driveway. After 25 years
    here I still miss our property.
    Karen

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

So interesting to find this post again. I was just watching a show on TV about Nikola Tesla, some of his electric experiments, and he had these globes with metal stakes sticking out of the bottom which he was sticking into the ground. I was so excited and telling my husband about this post and the balls wondering if you could possibly have his ummm balls. But his were glass and now I see and remember that yours are metal. DARN! How cool would that have been, and very valuable!

They are still unique.

• posierosie_zone7a
    9 years ago

They would look awesome painted a mirror like silver. Then grouped like mushrooms. Kind of modern. Love the idea of pennies, too!

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

those are neat - good find! :o)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler