Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Plate backs , silicone & bad weather (pics)

toomuchglass
11 years ago

I decided to make a bunch of plate flowers to hang on my fence last spring . I've been watching them to see how they hold up . I'm happy to report -- they made it through Wisconsin's weird just weather GREAT !

They've been out in -- snow,hail,freezing temps,high gusts of wind,spring rain , dry spells, sweltering heat and worst of all .... %^*%@! squirrels using them to climb on ! LOL

I want to show you the back of them . I bought some kind of cheap chain by the foot at Ace hardware store , bent it open so one part was flat and one part was sticking out ,and used GE Silicone 2. Here's a pic of the back -

{{gwi:155297}}

It's about a quarter sized glob. The secret is to lay a blob on the plate --- and work your hanger into it , so the hanger is enveloped on both sides with silicone.

Here's a pic of the plate that was hanging up - it's 3 layers of glass (alittle bit of weight ) . I've also used GE Silicone 2 also to glue them together.

{{gwi:155299}}

I know we all value experiments ! So for me -- 2 thumbs up for GE silicone 2 ..... and for using something as simple as bent chain for hangers !! :)

*big smile* !

Comments (6)