Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

The weirdest thing I ever bought .

toomuchglass
13 years ago

TMG walked her butt off today at a "block rummage sale" . It turned out , it wasn't ONE BLOCK -- it was like a 10 square city block area with 3 or 4 rummages on each street. Needless to say - I walked more today than I have all year ! BUT -- Boy -- did I make a haul .... !

WHOOPPPEEE !!!! I'm not posting my treasures yet ... I took a bunch of "before" pics and when I'm done jazzing them up - I'll post before & after pics.

I just had to show you a pic of the weirdest thing I ever bought ~~ LOL Only a "junker" could see the potential in this ! Ready to gasp "What the heck is that ??" Here it is ....

{{gwi:155340}}

LOL ...... (I just heard a choir of gasps from everyone here !) It was at the rummage sale of a young man - probably about 19. It was 50 cents .I knew I had to have it ! I asked him what it was . He said he used to work at a plastics factory - and they extruded test resin to make sure they got the color right - and this was one of their "test gobs" . He said he used it at Halloween for fake "guts" .... LOL ( Geeze - kids are fun ! )

I already have a project in mind. I'm not going to spill the beans on what it might be yet .... but here's a hint.

It's all different grey tones .... in my mind - it looked like a wad of rope that washed up on a beach . hhhhmmmmm........

I'll be busy this week jazzing this stuff up . I'm so excited ! And yes - this is the weirdest 50 cents I ever spent ! ROFL !!

I'm just curious -- what do you see ?

( besides my 50 cents going down the drain ? heheh )

Comments (20)

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Toomuch... I think you've finally lost it! That looks like some kind of horrid parasite! Have fun!

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ROFL .. Tasymo ......... You MIGHT be right ! I haven't even shown my DH yet - because I think he'd say the same thing as you !!!!

My first thought was to make one of those 'old men in the tree' thingees ... but it's much too weird for that . I love a challenge , but I have to admit - this is the kind of thing that will keep me awake tonight ... my wheels won't stop turning !

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Medusa

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I can't get past Alien afterbirth.
    Extruded plastic sounds good, but I don't knw. Cant'wait to see what you do.
    Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

My stepdaughter's friend would love that! She created some weird sculpture in their front yard entitled "Afterbirth" so that gives you an idea of what it looks like. I think it would look cool adhered to a hypertufa planter - it looks like it has all the right grays. Or somehow use it has the head of an elephant and add something funky for the ears.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

well, afterbirth was my first thought, so I had to rethink it...
    I think it's what happens and then comes out, after eating raw pork....

I know, "aw shut up!"

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

...too busy laughing, and shaking my head

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I was wondering where the poor critter was that "lost his guts" ! Can't imagine what it will end up being!! Jan

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

Somebody had an intestine-ectomy!

• indylisa
    13 years ago

I was thinking paint it terra cotta and plant hens and chickens in it.
    Lisa

• nonacook
    13 years ago

LOLOL!
    Can't wait to see what you do with it!
    I have some nylon pieces that were test
    run pieces, but they are 'ruffly and curly'
    on the edges, quite pretty....

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Well, my first reaction was a big "EWWW", but then I realized it was plastic/vinyl extrusion because my DH used to work for a vinyl manufacturer. However, he never actually brought a "pile 'o guts" home! I like the rope idea. The only other thing I could think of was a mass of roots...like the kind you see on planted staghorn ferns, etc. or a mass of octopus tenacles.

Well, TMG....you've really outdone yourself this time. Can't wait to see what you make with it!

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

It does look like guts. Surprised anyone would sell a test glob...LOL! The old man in the tree was a good guess...but you gave us the hint of old sea rope washed ashore....octopus tentacles...is another good suggestions....can't wait to see what you do with it!

Maybe an ugly old troll? lol

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

I see smoke coming up out of a Genie bottle.

that's just the kind of thing I usually bring home and then my husband just looks at me funny.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

I had to go back and reread that..I read
    octoput testacles...

I think you oughta just bury it and see what grows up in that part of the yard~

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are cracking me up !!!!!!!! ROFL ........
    I knew we'd laugh at this !!!

(((((((((((Everybody ! ))))))))))))

• chocolateis2b8
    13 years ago

indylisa actually gave me this idea. I got thinking about how it would look painted terra cotta and then with hens and chicks as indylisa said and my mind got working and I started seeing some of the weird shapes my hazelwood contorta would put out, which made me think to paint it like it was wood, you know, put in swirls and such that look like wood grain. After that, I got thinking a creeping thyme would look good in it.

I still love indylisa idea of the hens and chicks, but be a nut about herbs, I'm liking the creeping thyme idea better.

Or you can stay on the gross side, make it into the mass of worms a poor animal coughed up, but cartoonish, paint some eyes and a grinning mouth here and there, lol.

• grandmathyme
    13 years ago

Oh my! Here I was sitting at my computer eating breakfast when I read this thread! Everything from octapus testacles to intestines to a mass of coughed-up worms! I guess I'll be starting that diet today after all!

Can't wait to see what "it" becomes!

• mssunflower
    13 years ago

Well, I always wondered what octopus testacles looked like... now I know. You guys have made my afternoon and thank heavens there was no one in my office when I read this post. Having worked in a vet's office I can see all the worm possibilities, but then the roots have a good point there. Personally I would paint each loop(???) a different color (bright colors)and then go with a small trailing sedum and/or hens and chicks.

Grandma Thyme, this post could definitely put some of us on a diet. Fortunately, I had already eaten before reading this one.

Thanks for all th giggles.

Ms. Faith

• hostarhodo
    13 years ago

Think of your display when I drive into Town. I pass a boatbuilding area and outside is a pile of nets and white buoylines just thrown on the ground looks like giant intestines.

My first thought about yours was maybe some type of Celtic Cross. Just pull up the top a bit and extend the 2 sides, ta da new decor piece.

Betty