Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will someone please identify this daylily?

Posted by alaMel 4a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 21:02

Sorry, I can't post pics from my mobile in the daylily forum and this one always stays busy. I inherited this from the previous owner. It really goes mamoth when divided. Thanks so much.

Image link: Will someone please identify this daylily? (20 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will someone please identify this daylily?

That looks like the species hermerocallis "fulva" commonly known as ditch lilies. In other words it's the hemerocallis that all of the others were bred from. It is a wild flower here in the states and every part of it is edible! They can take over your world so be sure to keep them in check. I have them in several places in my yard but divide and share them when they get too big, usually every other year.

Enjoy!

~~Mimi

o

I've heard them called "outhouse lilies", it can become very invasive.

o

They will literally grow like weeds but are very pretty ones!

o

That is what I was leaning twards. The two fans I transplanted (third season now) are HUGE! I really like them, but they dwarf all other daylilies I've seen. These guys are so stinking macho. The electric guy stepped them flat to the ground, they popped back up a wk later. I got some overspray weed killer on them, doesn't bother them at all. I dug up some clumps to thin them out and just tossed them into a corner of the yard on top the lawn, the darn thing is bare rooted and is budding out!! I get a kick outta these. Let them spread!

o

Tawney Daylily

o

Its good to have these if you have a dh like mine. He is always wanting to eat our special daylily flowers so its good to send him to the ditch lilies.
Kathy

o

Yep! that our beloved *ditch* lily. I think it grows wild in every state. I had them in Michigan and I have them in Tennessee. I love them also. I have a Double orange day lily which is really beautiful and they multiply just like the *ditch* lilies. Probably a cousin!! lol

o

I dislike the name 'ditch lilies' and always refer to them are 'road side' daylilies. It speak a little kinder to the parent of all daylilies. They are the first to bloom for me so I keep a few just to remind myself that the great display is finally coming.

o

Technically they are Tawny daylilies. I don't like calling them 'ditch' either. To me (no offence intended) stella de oro's are so commonly boaring around here. That's my idea of something to throw in the ditch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here