Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Cushions?

i need to make cushions to go outside on some furniture, These will need to stay outside, they will not be ones that go in and out if it rains.

What should I make them out of?

Comments (11)

• loribee2
    9 years ago

I can't think of anything soft and cushiony that can stay outside year round, especially in Minnesota? Is there a reason you can't bring them in?

If you really wanted to leave them out, I would consider going thinner than fatter. I have some thin cushions and fat ones. When they get stuck in the rain, the thin ones dry out faster. If they dry out quickly they would be less likely to mold, I'm thinking.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I can bring them in for the winter! It's just that I don't have a garage, and I do a lot of traveling, so bringing them in and out every time it rains, just won't happen. So I was hoping there was some suggestions as to better foams, or fabrics to use. Things that dry quickly, but the sun won't degrade right away.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

There are definitely waterproof fabrics. I did a quick google search on "waterproof outdoor cushions" and lots came up. Like I said, when I get unexpected spring rains after I've brought my cushions out, I usually run out and pull in the fat ones because they take days and days to dry if they get soaked. I've got some thinner cushions on one patio set and I just let them go. They've gotten wet dozens of times and are several years old. They've yet to get moldy or show any adverse signs from the rain. The other thing I like about them is I can bring them in and throw them in my washing machine. I do that on a warm day then set them out in the sun to dry.

I got mine at Home Depot, so they weren't high end expensive or anything.

• yacheryl
    9 years ago

Shower curtains.......
    I have an old plastic wicker patio set I bought from Walmart 4-5 years ago.
    The material was so bleached and dry rotted.
    I cut the old material off to use as a pattern.
    Looks and works great.
    Feels like material, but rain just repels off.
    This is the one I used............cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: fish shower curtain

• posieh
    9 years ago

Hey, thanks. I can use the idea of shower curtains too, I'm just redoing some outside chairs.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm I never thought of shower curtains, but they would fit the bill. I just picked up a vintage Homecrest metal glider and chair, similar to the one in the link below, except the one in the picture is a 2 person, and mine is a 3 person glider. They are an odd shape and size, I doubt I will be able to find pre-made ones that would fit.

I got lucky, I paid $40 for both the glider and the chair, and they are in almost mint condition!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• loribee2
    9 years ago

That is a deal! Don't be so sure you can't buy one pre-made. That looks like a standard loveseat cushion would fit. Check Lowes or Home Depot if you have them in your area. I sew, and find that I can usually buy pillows cheaper than I can buy the materials to make them. In fact, a trick I use is to buy ugly pillows on close-out just for the form, then cover them myself, LOL

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Even waterproof fabric doesn't really make waterproof cushions because the rain gets in the stitch holes. You also need to weld the seams afaik. I don't know how that's done.

Where I live the cushions are taken outside when it stops raining, not brought in when it starts! Ours have hanging loops and are kept by the back door just in case the sun comes out.

• rosiew
    9 years ago

Can't believe no one has recommended acrylic outdoor fabric yet. Sunbrella is the best known brand, but many others make it. Don't get fooled into using polyester fabrics. They just don't hold us. I have some Sunbrella cushions on deck couches that I'm sick to death of - more than 15 years old, still going strong. Lots of online sources too.

HTH, Rosie

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

I love Sunbrella too. I got my 1st 1 at TS it was new tho but it is still going strong & just got new ones I mentioned to lady with weathered shed. Got those at Sam;'s Club. Only ones I liked tho & I think most of rest were polyester fabric as they didn't have same feel. Can get the fabric at a fabric shop but very expensive so was thrilled to get such a buy The shower curtain the seams could be kind of slightly under the cushions so rain wouldn't run in seams Wrap it over form & make the seam on bottom Corners would have to be carefully folded so they would not be cut . Think it would work. Jan.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs