Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

I need some help!

frankielynnsie
11 years ago

I bought a ceramic cookie jar house for $2.50 to start my fairy garden at the thrift store and the top is missing. I thought I could make a replacement roof with??? Something like plaster of Paris? molding clay? And then use sculpy clay to look like a thatched roof. I need some suggestions of what would work for this.

Comments (5)

• marquest
    11 years ago

How about using coir from those hanging wire baskets as a roof. I think the dollar store sells the coir without the wire pots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thatch roof fairy garden house

• marquest
    11 years ago

Here is one with instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thatch

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

You can make one out of wood if you have some pieces laying around...if it's a rectangular shaped cookie jar, just measure and make a triangle or pyramid shaped room to sit on top. You could either paint the roof, use moss, or some tin or even bark to cover it.

Let us see what you come up with...we love pictures!

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found some fairies at the thrift store today. They need painting and one has a broken off arm. I am so excited that everything is coming together and am going to start working on a top for their house. I will investigate doing the picture thing but am very technically challenged.

• marquest
    11 years ago

If you are challenged the cutting a piece of fiber would really be your best technique. That is just cutting and gluing. No wood cutting and it is realistic to what a fairy house would have as a roof.

Good luck and have fun. By the way...... I would not stress about the arm put a flower or some moss around the arm part and no one will see the difference. Just start improvising and fix things as you go. Maybe you will stumble up on a little doll in the dollar store or in the thrift store and you can fix it later.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus