Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slr8

All the Goodies I found today!!!

slr8
15 years ago

Well, we all know that yard sales can really suck but sometimes they can rock. Today, I got up early and went out with my mom to hit some yard sales. I couldn't believe what I found today!!! We found a street who was having one and so we parked the van and started to walk around. I found a compost for $10, potting bench for $20, flat trellis for $4, two small benches $2 each, one large mirror in an arch frame $3, a large antique mirror for $1, wooden easel for $3, a large rectangular bamboo planter for $10 and a small wooden chair for $1. It was such a fantastic outing. And all of the wooden pieces came from an old man who had built them and can't do it anymore and just was trying to get rid of them. They are amazing and are ready to be stained. They all match in style! I am so excited. I can't put them out until I have sealed them. I will add pictures when it is all done!

Comments (30)

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

That would be my kind of day!!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Wow, you made a great haul today! I can't wait to see pictures of everything after you have it situated in your garden!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

What a Day!!! You lucky woman, I'm green with envy. Especially on the items the old guy created, those must be real treasures! I really want to see the antique mirror..
    oh heck, I want to see EVERYthing.

hugs, Karen

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

I haven't been to a yard sale yet this year, working at a job really cuts into my personal time, LOL. Your excursion sounds fun and makes me want to get out there and see what I can find myself.

Sal

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will post pictures when I finally get the stained and with a little baby boy in the house, I don't know when I will get to it. Hopefully this week.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

hey slr, we like to see "before" photos too, hint hint.

hugs, Karen

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can post before pictures. We are in the process of killing some trumpet vine so the area by the back fence is all dug up with huge mounds of dirt right now. I can post ugly pictures in a day or two and then as we go through that huge chore. In a week or two, emerald cedars will be planted, a trellis added and our wishing well will find his old home again. Then, I will be placing the various garden goodies. So don't worry, I will be more than willing to post pics...do you have to have the pics on a website in order to post them? Like a blog or something? I will have to look into that...I was hoping you could just cut and paste them...I see that sometimes...

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Posting is so easy. I learned using photobucket which is free. First load some pics to photobucket following their insturctions once you open an account. If you don't reduce the size on your computer there is an option at the bottom of the upload photos screen in photobucket. Medium produces the size I have shown below. (This is so you don't load a huge pic that takes a long time for people to load and see.) This is a little small, you probably could safely choose large. Also name an album now so that you don't have to move your pic later and break any old links. (Go to the album, and also choose your size before you click choose photos, to upload). OK you have pics in PB, ready! have photobucket open in one window and your garden web message in another. There are 2 easy ways to post photos: 1. Go to the optional URL box in the garden web message and click, then go to photobucket and click on the address under your pic labeled "direct link". A little sign that says "copied" will flash. Then go back toyour message and right click and paste into the URL box. 2. To have the pic appear in your message do the same procedure but at the beginning of a new line in your garden web message and this time click onthe address labeled HTML code in photobucket. right click and paste back in garden web. You can check to see if it worked when you preview your message.

Here is rhododendron schleppenbachi and Zorro this May loaded to PB on the medium size setting, using method #2 to post here.
    {{gwi:131237}}
    kathy

• ritaotay
    15 years ago

SLR8, I'll bet that gentleman would really like to see a pic of his creations their new home after you've done your thing...

Rita
    P. S. If you're only going to post a few pics tinypic.com is great and very easy.

• mjowest
    15 years ago

Hey that looks like our cat!! :)

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I tried photobucket, so let's see how this works. I am choosing small this time and I will adjust if I had to. The picture is of a miniature garden I created this month.

I definitely will give the older gentleman pictures of the finished products. What a great idea...never thought about that. I'll bet he will appreciate that. He gave me such a great deal on everything...it is the least I could do!

Here goes:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:155715}}

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of the large burgundy mirror in an arch frame. I put it in this particular garden because it matches the Bloodgood Japanese Maple. It might be moved still but for now, I like it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:155716}}

• daisydal
    15 years ago

slr8-WOW!I wouldn't move a thing!! That is so beautiful. I love green and all of your plants just look lush!! I have a side garden I am wanting to finish this summer, might have to keep your pic postmarked if you don't mind? I really love it!

• kat4kittens2002
    15 years ago

that mirror is wonderful..i think you have it in the best place it really looks wonderful next to the jap. maple..
    cant wait to see all ur pics..thanks for sharing
    kathy

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

Wow,love that nirror in the garden,it sets everything off just perfectly.TFS
    Kathi

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone. It was a good find for $3. It is big and very heavy. On a nicer day, the reflection would of a blue sky rather than the overcast sky. That will look nice. I took that easel and put the framed mirror on it and it looks super. When I get the easel stained, I will post that pic too. You can use any idea, Daisy. The only thing I dislike about this garden is the fact that there is mint growing here, thanks to the neighbour (whom I love, however). I don't think I will get rid of it so, for now, I am going to just embrace the smell of mint. Oh well...what can you do. But thanks. I do like the textures and colours in this garden but it is my least favourite one. I will post the others at a later time.

• virgogirl67
    15 years ago

Love the mirror. Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate one into the garden. Your pictures have given me food for thought.
    I love the color contrast!
    B :)

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

The mirror next to the japanese maple is stunning!
    kathy

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I have been staining up a storm. I managed to finish finally the two small benches/tables that I got for only $2 each.

{{gwi:155731}}

{{gwi:155736}}

Next, I completed staining the easel ($3 find) and put the $1 antique mirror on it. It is not placed where it is going to stay because the garden in the back is not quite done. The trumpet vines were ripped out and killed this passed weekend and we then planted the six emerald cedars. So, once the garden around the cedars is done, the easel will be placed within it. But here it is, finished, just to give the idea.

{{gwi:150567}}

The wishing well got its home back. I planted three canna lilies just beside it and hosta will be added soon.

{{gwi:155741}}

I also finished planting in the trough that I bought for $10. Next year I will plant more in it, but I am on a budget so the potato vine will do for now. I will replant in the autumn with flowering kale and orange and purple mums.

{{gwi:155743}}

So I am having a lot of fun. I have to put one more coat on the $20 potting table and then add embellishments. I will post a picture when I get the next coat on.

Oh Joy!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I adore miniature gardens. Great work!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

I can't believe the price on those two little wood benches!
    I love things like that, what a find.

hugs, Karen

• Bright199
    15 years ago

WOW! You have been busy! I love all the projects. Can't believe you got those tables for $2!!! Thanks for sharing.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Great finds, gotta love the goodies:) Great work on your garden, I know how bad trumpet creeper is, since it's all over the place here :( It sure does stink! lol... and I know how hard it is to even get started on anything let alone finish when you have a young one ( my youngest grandson and his mama live with me now!)I love the mirrors in your garden, that one with the Japanese Maple is simply beautiful! I seldom get to reply to a post anymore, or do many projects, or even get to yard sales, which is one of my favorite things ( when I miss a yard sale on Saturday it messes up my whole week and I can't keep track of the days, it must be a sign of old age!!??!!?? lol) However, we were driving by a yard sale Friday so we decided to give the grandson a dollar to spend and he bought two books and a toy truck, and I got a box of rhinestone earrings and another box with rhinestone necklaces, and a gold necklace with a gold heart and a small diamond, some pink leather newborn baby shoes...some of these things are for making a shadowbox...I spent $4 and got my yard sale fix:)

• daisydal
    15 years ago

I am glad you finally got to send the pics, they are great!! Your tables were a steal and you done a great stain job on them! I love, love the mirror and easel, that is so beautiful. Everything you got is so pretty!
    kudzukween, glad you got your fix, dear, I know how that is, I work all the time and miss the GS so much! Have fun for me!!! blessings-sherri

• lilbluyze
    15 years ago

Things look great! It is obvious you've been having fun!

AJ

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kudzukween, my husband and I are planning to build a shadow box Victorian theme for our bedroom. Yardsales are great for gathering items to put in them. I bought the shadow box at IKEA a few months ago but it is our winter project to put together. Summer months are for PLANTING. :) We would go broke otherwise! Ha ha ha.

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. I finally finished the potting table now too but I want to wait until I get it into the yard before a pic is taken. I haven't yet found the embellishments for it. Got ideas though. I have been having fun.

Right now I have been searching out the begonia forum to start propagating begonias. I have fallen in love with them this month. I always have things on the go. At least I finish one thing before starting another. :)

Have fun everyone!

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just posted the potting table under "decorating a potting table". I will put a finished pic here later but need help. Please go over and check it out and give me ideas please!

• gold3nku5h
    15 years ago

May i ask what some of the miniture garden plants are, they look like they would go great in a terrarium.

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Gold. They are super plants. I just don't know exactly what they all are. I kept the tags and then my Dad threw them out without realizing how important they are to a gardener. Ha ha ha. I know I used elfin thyme, Pink Armeria Maritima, and miniature spiderweb hen and chicks. My mom made one too so I will have to ask her is she knows the names. If all else fails, I will take some super close ups for you and you can see if others know them. We simply went into a nursery and told them what we were doing and the lady went around and brought us miniature growing plants. I wouldn't have been able to choose plants otherwise.

• slr8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it is not embellished but here it is in the yard at least. I put this glass globe on it and some pots. I will plant in the pots at some point. I need hooks still, a towel rack, a watering can, etc. But that all can wait a little while.

{{gwi:151730}}

{{gwi:151732}}