Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kylslil1

My new Pony

kylslil1
12 years ago

Okay, I think I need some encouragement....I was super excited about my find, but my husband told me I was a little nuts for wanting this... I was at my favorite antique/junk store and one of the ladies was cleaning out her booth. She gave me this for practically nothing!! How fun would this be in the garden?!?!

{{gwi:155922}}

{{gwi:155924}}

Comments (9)

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

GASP !!!!!!!!!!!! OMG ..... I'm so jealous !!!
    Let your imagination run wild .... DH will eat his words when he sees your final masterpiece !

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Ok, here's some encourgement! Some of our GJer friends on this forum have recycled wonder horses, too! So you're not alone! Check out the beautiful painting on this one by excessfroufrou in the link below! You can search for others in the search box, too...some real beauties!

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm Done, I'm Done with WonderHorse

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

This is funny ... I got one just like that from my brother-in-law. He has been cleaning out my father-in-law's house and there was one in the basement. None of the kids wanted it so it came home with me. I'd love to know how one would go about filling in the holes made by the pieces that held it onto the frame. I was thinking of mosaicing mine like the one in the link below (but not nearly as good!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaiced Toy Horse

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

There used to be instructions on how to fill the holes, but I'm afraid they are too old and have disappeared. It involved cutting a piece of card board a little larger than the hole and putting a string through the center, with something to hold the string from coming through. Then you ease the cardboard (string outward) into the hole and pull it tight against the inside of the horse with the string. This would hold the patching material in place. I don't remember what people used. Bondo maybe? Some sort of sandable epoxy perhaps? Any way get all your cardboard and string pieces ready then get the bondo or what ever ready and go for it!
    I would love to mosaic one too.
    Can't wait to see what you do. Your dh will be amazed.
    There were some amazingly beautiful ones that I have seen, but can't find many of them now.
    Oh.. I have posted a link to a T2T post that has some instructions plus a link to a wonderful mosaic zebra. The first link to insructions no longer works, but people discuss making them in the conversation on the thread. Just remember outdoors requires outdoor materials.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Trash to Treasure wonder horse link

• geeme
    12 years ago

I have always wanted one to put on a tall pole or hang from a tree branch after I put wings on it and maybe a horn,,, pegasus or a unicorn with owls or fairys in the seat driving....

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Just cut the handles off flush and leave them to fill the holes. Add some putty to smooth out, or glue things like craft store conchos over them. Prime and paint. My pony is primed, waiting for me to decide on color. I drilled a hole in his belly and put him on a metal floor lamp pole I found at GW.

hugs, K

• excessfroufrou
    12 years ago

You are a lucky girl. I looked and looked and finally got one for $10.00. Jeanne, you are so sweet to post my WonderHorse pix. I ended up cutting circles from a butter dish lid and gluing them on and then bondoing the edges and sanding. I used outdoor acrylic paint and a ton of glazes and sealers. I put him in the yard at first, but finely moved him under the porch because I noticed a little peeling on his tail. Be sure and let us see your finished project.
    Frou

• aquawise
    12 years ago

OMG! I have 2 and know where to get 2 more. I just dont have the guts yet to tackle them. Just cannot find any GOOD instructions to guide me. Most are just not clear enough for this Dummy! I need Visual help!! LOL I do much better if I can see what to do! rather than read what to do. You go Girl!

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Aqua, I'm a "visual" person too. But preparing the ponies are easy. Here's mine spray painted with white primer, and you can see where I flush-cut the two wood dowels down in his neck and flank. And he's mounted on the GW lamp pole I found. I'm just undecided if I want him a palomino or a pinto, or maybe a pretty grey, as I'd use him in holiday decorating inside.

{{gwi:155927}}

hugs, Karen

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company