Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Creepy bowling ball dilema

Posted by lizzardly 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 22:08

I painted all the bowling balls black for a base coat and the bronze- they look really good.

The problem is the critters. I painted all of them first black and that worked fine. The problem I'm having is the bronze paint. It's sticky even after 3 days. I used the krylon for plastic and other materials so I don't know why it's not setting up.

Do you think it will solidify if I cover it in clear sealer, or will it just make a sticky mess even stickier?

I was so hoping to have these finished up for this weekend when my daughter comes to visit. :(


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Creepy bowling ball dilema

In my opinion, the sealer would keep the air from reaching the paint to make it dry. Do you have any leftover critters? Maybe you could experiemtn with one and see if it works. Wierd problem - good luck.
-Sprout


 o
RE: Creepy bowling ball dilema

No experience with this, lizzardly...sorry...maybe someone can help, I hope! :-( Jeanne S.


 o
RE: Creepy bowling ball dilema

I made one a few years ago, I used black spray paint then sponged on copper acrilc craft paint, then sprayed it with clear coat after it dried. Dont know if this will help you or not. But good luck. I love my critter ball :)


 o
RE: Creepy bowling ball dilema

It sounds like the black base coat and the bronze top coat do not want to play together nicely. I've had this happen in the past and I shared your frustration. The only solution I ever found was to strip all the paint and then repaint with a different type of paint. Wish I knew more about what kinds of paint can and can't be used together, but I'm clueless.


 o
RE: Creepy bowling ball dilemma

On second thought, since the bowling balls didn't have the sticky paint problem, I'm thinking it might be the material that the garden critters are made from that is chemically reacting with the paint.

I had this problem too, with the handles to a pair of garden clippers that I spray painted with fluorescent paint. The paint didn't dry and the handles were a sticky mess. Unfortunately I can't remember how I solved the problem.

I think that removing the existing paint from the critters and going with a brush-on acrylic paint might be your best option. I'd try any new paint on a small test area, maybe on the under side of one of the critters, before repainting them.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here