Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smickerdoodle

Does anyone know what this flower is?

smickerdoodle
13 years ago

Hey Everyone!

My son was doing some yardwork along the fence line a couple of weeks ago and he discovered something new. We have lived here for 4 years now and I have never seen this plant before. Does anyone have a clue what it is? I love the flowers on it. I also love the rusty old fence it is growing on...but I think the neighbors would love to see it disappear. :)

Micki

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:156275}}

Comments (17)

• soonergirl1968
    13 years ago

Looks like honeysuckle to me :)

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Yes, that is honeysuckle. Smells wonderful!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Yup, that will keep climbing & so pretty! I have Mandarin Orange Honeysuckle growing up bench arbor...blooming now but lots of rain knockin' 'em off...will have to take pic. Keep rusty fence! Great combo! TFS! Jeanne S.

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

I agree. It's honeysuckle. Enjoy! The center part you can suck on- hence the name. My grandparents had it growing along the fence by the pool. They were the ones who told me about it.
    Love, Jules

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Hi Smick~

It is indeed wild honeysuckle. It is beautiful and smells heavenly, but it also spreads like wildfire and will choke any plant it attaches too! It is considered a weed here in VA, so keep it clipped and in bounds.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Marlene is right on the money, it is very invasive and considered a weed here also. But, having said that, I have always loved it, it just smells like summer here in the south. I would be careful with it in the yard, I have a red and yellow one in a giant pot with a big topiary thing for it to climb on, and it does well.
    Frou

• doodys
    13 years ago

it's a wild honeysuckle...Had them on my back fence and sweetest smell in springtime.

• Jackie McCarty
    13 years ago

definitely honeysuckle! i say cut it down as fast as you can. it does taste and smell great, but will take over like you wouldn't believe. it has covered my whole property and I cant keep up with its growth to contain it.

Good Luck! :)
    Jackie/STROBE

• lizzardly
    13 years ago

Oooh. You are so lucky. Of all the plants that I love that won't grow here in So FL I think honeysuckle is the one I miss the most. It grew on the fence next to my grandparent's property line in VA. I still feel like a kid whenever I catcha a whiff of honeysuckle perfume.

• susiewantsroses
    13 years ago

Ditto on the Suckle.
    I had some on a fence. Since it is so prolific it became a lot of work to keep it trimmed, chopped, cut, pulled, etc. (That's what teenagers are for) It would be heavenly in a large container with a trellis support then you could control it easier. But if you are wanting to cover the fence you've got the perfect plant.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

this is all too funny..
    I was going to suggest you take several cuttings and plant it all around, in different areas..
    guess not everyone likes it as much as a few of us..

I have one plant in a container and will be taking cuttings from it soon.
    then I can plant it every few feet along my fence..I love it too. my gramma had it in her backyard.

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

It's Japanese Honeysuckle, Lonicera japonica. It's on most states invasive species list.
    Smick, I keep thinking you live in Michigan, it that correct? This vine is on the list.
    It's not a good one to have around regardless of it's perfume. It takes over areas in a heartbeat!
    If you really want a honeysuckle, there are ones native to North America, Lonicera sempervirens for example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michigan Invasive Plant List

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

It is definitely honeysuckle. I transplanted a couple tiny plants of it from my folks' home in KY to my home in IL. I planted both plants next to an unused telephone pole. The vines have grown to the top of the pole! Looks like some type of tree ent almost LOL.
    It is a highly invasive plant. If we couldn't mow around it, I doubt I'd grow it, because it truly would take over the yard!
    I completely love the scent of it though. It is one of my all-time favorites!

• daislander
    13 years ago

hahah definelty depends where you live. If that a weed where you live im jealous. Im considering paying 14 bux for one. I had one and lost it. Then bought some fancy honeysuckle that dosnt even smell! I didnt think that was possible.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

We have honeysuckle bushes here that are invasive. I used to love them until I saw a place in Massachusetts where they had totally taken over a couple acres. They were not so pretty when there was nothing else. It was a bit horrifying like an invasion from mars or something. I still haven't cut mine down (there are lots more than a decade ago), but I plan to this summer.
    Kathy

• joannpalmyra
    13 years ago

I have some bushes with flowers that look like honeysuckle but have no scent. :(

• lamb716
    13 years ago

And they attract bees! Had one growing along the side porch & we had to pull it out. Too many bees & we had small children playing near there all the time.