Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbledsaw

Odd idea?

tbledsaw
12 years ago

I'm always taking flowers out to the cemetery. I was thinking of creating a small glass totem that would be small enough to fit in the granite flower vase and put a solar light in it. Does that sound weird, or do you think it would look ok?

Comments (10)

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

It might walk.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Yup, shining in the dark like that, someone will probably think they need it more...a small totem would be nice but I wouldn't do the solar light part...JMHO. Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

That would be sweet. Hopefully no one would steal it. I know it was disappear around here in a heartbeat.

• chickiebabeblue
    12 years ago

Give it a try. I wouldn't put a lot of $ into it in case it walks away. Our local cemetary has quite a few solar lights. The first time I noticed them I felt a little "eerie". Now I think they are beautiful and peaceful.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Sounds good. Lots of solar lights in my area also. I actually work for a cemetery (part-time) The folks around here like the eternal candle and holder at the grave site. Those REALLY have a tendency to walk off as they are approx. $100.00!!!! Anyone have any ideas as to how one of those could be crafted?

• doodys
    12 years ago

I've made two totems for my mother/fathers grave and my sisters...think its a neat idea.Where I come from I see lots of solar lights in cemeteries.

• tbledsaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure it will be ok here? The cemetery is very peaceful. It's out in the country, surrounded by corn/bean field and a cow pasture. Plus our gravesite is all the way at the back of the cemetery. There are a lot of solar lights in the cemetery already as well. Plus I will probably just use a small solar light.
    I already have some glass pieces I could use. I'm just formulating it all in my head now lol.
    I really want something more adorable than glass-beautiful, if that makes sense? The grave is for children, so I want something appropriate to them. Likely will take me awhile to figure this one out, because it needs to be "perfect".
    Thanks for your input, guys. I appreciate you!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I've never seen solar lights in the cemetery, tho I love the idea. Thanks for the warning tho cuz I bet if and when i do see them I'd be startled. I wonder if folks don't do it here, or if I haven't been to a cemetery at night lately.
    Its so bizarre to me that people steal from the cemetery.

I love the idea of an adorable totem. Be sure to post a pic.
    Kathy

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I like the idea!!

But speaking of stealing, this year 2 or 3 cemetaries around here lost almost all of the bronze vases. About 85 at one cemetary, and more at a larger one. I can't believe that the smelter people would accept them (And they melted them down the first time). I don't know how, but they did catch the people who stole them the second time they did it. They should have done something to the smelter people too!!!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful plan, tblesaw. In my area, I've never heard of solar lights...but I know alot of potted plants disappear...too bad that someone thinks they need them more...your cemetery sounds very peaceful. So, good luck, with your endeavors! (a gift of light). Jeanne S.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?