Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

What is this cool iron piece?!!!

kirkus
13 years ago

I went to our favorite country thrift store after work tonight. Actually I was getting a take and bake pizza from the country shop next door, and while they were making my pizza I just had to go to my thrift shop! LOL

I found this cool, painted, iron piece. They actually had 5 more...I may have to go back! Anyway, WHAT IS IT?! The top has a hole where a nut or bolt was. It's SUPER heavy. The sides look like branches with birds... It's about 12 inches tall. The other 5 pieces were even taller. The owners had no idea what it is either...

Next question...time to put your creative thinking caps on... What would you do with it? I need to walk around the yard like Goldenpond suggests and see if an idea comes to my mind.

Whatever it is, I LOVE IT!!!!! Oh, I also bought 2 bags full of other treasures!

Thanks for any ideas you might have!!! I love our forum! You always inspire me!

Oh, the pizza was good too! LOL

BEAR HUGS! Kirk

{{gwi:156593}}

{{gwi:156594}}

Comments (30)

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Some kind of light fixture?? What a great buy. Glad the pizza was good too.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

I see a couple of sea otters with driftwood...it's gotta go with some water feature.
    the other pieces need to be with this one..
    stop there first thing, so you don't miss them!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

WOW, I don't know what it was in it's former life ...but it would make a great tabletop waterer or feeder. If the price is right, I'd go back & buy all 5 ...if they're taller, that's even better.

You could mount a flat sided treated board on a fence line...between 2 posts & add these feeder feeders/waterers.

Or since it looks like there is a hole thru the top, you could put them on a metal rod with some wonderful glass pcs in-between a couple of them & still make a birdwaterer or a totem. ohhhhhh....how 'bout some of your wonderful cobalt blue pcs with one of these!

Wonderful finds! Great TS shopping! Love it! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I LOVE IT. Of course anything with birds and branches is right up my alley..but this is just fantastic. I hope you go back for more!
    and sounds like you got lots of other goodies too!
    gosh, pizza and treasure shopping...just doesn't get any better than that. LOL.

hugs, Karen

• loribee2
    13 years ago

How about the top for wind chimes?

• jlily
    13 years ago

Yes!! Wind Chimes hanging from that. Great find!! Enjoy whatever you do with it. Jlily

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! What great ideas! I will definitely have to go back to get more!!!!! Love the waterer/water feature idea and chimes too!!!!!! It was $10 but soooooo cool! I knew I could count on you all for GREAT ideas!!!!!!!!!! Thank you! Bear Hugs! Kirk (Can't wait for summer vacation from teaching to start next week so I can get going on PROJECTS!!!!)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

ohhhhh....perfect for windchimes...has the hole for a chain or whatever you chose to use ...wow! Great find! And "happy summer gardening" to you, Kirk...hope you have a great last couple days with kids! Jeanne S.

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

It looks like it COULD have been a candle holder for those tall, skinny taper candles. Looks like a school bell missing it's handle and clapper. Wouldn't make much of a ringy-ding-ding, would it.

Whatever it WAS can't beat all of the great suggestions given above. Perfect for wind chimes or a reflective sun-catcher with mirror tiles or crystals hanging down.
    I'm still thinkin'...
    -Sprout

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

If I had one of the bigger ones, I would set it on top of a pot that was planted with a vining plant so that the vines would go through the iron piece and hang down. I would place it on a pedestal to display it better.
    -Sprout

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

That is a really cool metal bird thingie! What a find! I like the idea of windchimes. Being a bird item it looks to me like it would be happier hanging up somewhere skyward. Lucky you to come upon this treasure!

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

Table/bird feeder/birdbath pedestal. And there's more?? Would you pick one up for me, please. I could make it to your house in about 8 hours....couldn't I?????

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laurastheme, I LOVE the idea of a birdbath pedestal!!!! I will be back tomorrow to buy more!!!!! I am sooooo inspired by everyone's ideas...I knew I would be! Thanks for the ideas! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I keep looking at this piece tonight, wondering what the heck it originally was. Oh, if it could tell us its story...

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I think it would look good on top of an oblisk!!! Good score!!

• daislander
    13 years ago

exactly what I thought^ Looks like it could have been a top of one and then a screw in finial... I saw a 'Eiffel tower' thats top basically sat on top on bottom of obelesk 'tower', had a couple little latchs that held it on. Good find!

• marleneann
    13 years ago

I love it!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

A wonderful piece!!!!!

• kacram
    13 years ago

Hey! I'm on my way over to buy the others!
    Keep your hands off! LOL

cool score!

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

Oh geeze ------ here we go again ........ Kirk -- you find the coolest stuff !!!!!!!!!

Who cares what it is - it's awesome !! LOLOLLL

• doodys
    13 years ago

looks to be like birds on twisted branches..so many possibilities...

• hostarhodo
    13 years ago

My first thought was that it was an unbrella stand if the hole is large enough.

I also think it would go on top of something like an obelisk, or a rooftop with a weathervane inserted.

I would be tempted to try adding round glass on top with bolt and make tables. Very interesting base. Could have some inside and outside.

Oh the wheels are turning today.

At the local thrift shop today, friend arrived with a sale notice for tomorrow about 20 minute drive away, everything selling for .25 dishes glasses the works. You folks came to mind. I always have seen different uses for things now with this forum it has gone into overdrive.

Betty

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

send a picture to the antique's road show!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what it used to be, but it sure is COOL!! Can't wait to see what you make with it....lots of great ideas here!

• lizzardly
    13 years ago

It looks like the hole in the top is threaded. Could be either a hanging light fixture or (this is a stretch) a finial for the top of metal fence. There used to be a fence in front of a house downtown where I grew up that had finials with three dolphins jumping around a ball shape.

If you can't figure it out what it is, you could always just send it to me. I wouldn't want you to be distracted by trying to figure out what it is everytime you try to enjoy your garden space. I could put it with my metal treasures for you if you'd like. :)

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Kirk- did you go back and purchase more of those iron thingies? Please post a photo so we can drool over it.
    -Sprout

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Could they be wired to be lights on your new house porch when you get the new house, they would be a great conversation piece! Then the others could be table & wind chimes! Jan

• smickerdoodle
    13 years ago

Wow! I love it! I hope you go get some more of those. My guess would be that it was on the top of a metal fence with a finial on top of it.

I like the wind chime idea it would be pretty to have little blue bottles hanging down from it.

Glad the pissa was good too...hope you got it home before it got cold with all the treasure hunting :)

Micki

• susiewantsroses
    13 years ago

If it was a part of a huge commercial light fixture you are lucky. All of the work I have done on old light fixtures tells me that most parts and pieces are inter changable. Meaning that a threaded nipple from the hardware store (sold in long lengths) will fit those threads. There are screw on finial loops and other lamp parts that may help you with your project. If it were me I would make landscape lights on elevated poles and use them as shades (bulb covers).

• diane_v_44
    13 years ago

hope you did get the rest of the pieces

yes for sure that was a find