Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gretch1964

My metal tree

gretch1964
16 years ago

I made this metal tree. Was sick of the raccoons and squirels eatting all my bird seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

Comments (21)

• tootiet
    16 years ago

WOW!!! That is absolutely fabulous!!!! You could make a fortune selling those!!! Great job!

• nonacook
    16 years ago

It's wonderful!!!! I always wanted to learn to weld, but since I was a 'girl' no one wanted to teach me!

• gretch1964
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Heck i'm a girl and i went to school to learn how too. Now have my own shop. Here at the house. I love doing it. There were 2 other girls there the time i was learning. One teach's it now. I have so many things i want to make. I also run my business from home. I sure hope to sell some.

• amesly
    16 years ago

That was a jaw dropper! I want to weld too!!!! Or learn to be a blacksmith... can't decide. ;) But yeah, your tree is AWESOME.

Amy

• kirkus
    16 years ago

That is absolutely beautiful...a masterpiece! I LOVE IT! My late father used to weld...I still have all of his tools. I should take a class and maybe become 1/2 as good as you! I am in awe of your creativity. I really am! Thanks so much for sharing! Kirk

• Bright199
    16 years ago

It's all been said... That is totally Awsome!!!

• carousel222
    16 years ago

This is awsome. I have a "squirel resistant" birdfeeder. Ha, didn't take them long to figure out a way. I think people would be interested in purchasing your metal trees. I've seen one made where instead of the metal leaves there were pieces of stained glass. Great job!

• kattydid
    16 years ago

It's beautiful, Without the leaves it would make a great bottle tree, or hold windchimes. Love it.

• wired
    16 years ago

What an adorable tree! WOW!
    This brought to mind a funny, but true story about squirrels and bird feeders. About three months ago, my brother and I got some new feeders at Wally World. We got talking about the squirrels stealing all the food...so he bought a metal hook about 6ft. tall to hang his feeder on. One morning he was having breakfast and a squirrel went up the metal post and snatched food. He just about died, and told me if he had not seen the little squirrel with his own eyes, he would never have believed it could climb the metal post, grab food and scamper away. So sneaky little critters :-)
    Anyway, let us know if they figure out a way to 'climb' your tree.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

That is pretty and so functional too. I love it. Luvs

• nonacook
    16 years ago

But you see Gretch, I am a lot older than you,(HS class of 1954) and at the time, all you were allowed to take was Home economics, which meant cooking and sewing. Even in the 1980's when I took a floraculture (houseplants) class at a vocational school, they wouldn't enroll women in the welding class....
    Now I am just to OLD to learn!!! LOLOLOL

Wired, we spray our metal post with WD 40. So far, so good..

LucyMarie welds too--I wish she would visit again from time to time....

• annielu
    16 years ago

wow gretch, that is awesome!!!

• galcho
    16 years ago

What do you think about squarel that jumps to hit birdfeeder because she realized that then she will get some seeds fallen out of it? Then she is having breakfast under the post.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

That's great! Are the leaves copper,will they get a nice green patina?? I'd love to have one of those in my yard. And,hey,what's all that other cool stuff in your shed,hmm?? lolol...you have some wonderful birdfeeders,too!

Cherry

• gretch1964
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL galcho, I have a baffle on it and they can eat under it for all i care.

Kudzukween, no the leaves are painted. But oh what a cool idea i will have to make the next leaves copper. Ummmm in the garage. Well lots of metal and all my tools. Have plans for all of it too.

Your all more then welcome to go and look at all my photobucket. THeres more stuff in there of yard stuff and pond.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

I am in awe of your talent! That tree is beautiful. I too have always wanted to learn to weld. My dad was a welder and I wish he had taught me before he passed away. I read in Birds & Blooms magazine to put a Slinky on a shepard hook to keep the squirrels from climbing up. Don't bother. I did it and 2 days later there was a squirrel having a buffet on my feeder!

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Gretch, there's nothing I can add, everyone's said it well.
    I don't have squirrels in Phoenix, but would LOVE your tree in my yard. Its fantastic. You should sell those like hot cakes. Going to keep an eye on your album, you are just amazing.

Karen

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

Your tree is awesome. Looks especially well in front the live tree with the same leaves.

• craftyjanjan
    16 years ago

Wow!! Awesome tree! My DH was a welder when we married 34 years ago. Hmmm! I wonder if he could make me one. Lol. Thanks for sharing!!
    Janet

• gardeningpeggy
    16 years ago

AH HA!!! another project to put on Hubby's to do list, he's going to love it!

NICE JOB!!! love it, love it, love it!

• jlily
    16 years ago

We've been having raccoons on our feeders too. Thank you for sharing your beautiful tree. If your critters are related to ours--they will figure out a way. Enjoy!!Jlily

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area