Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barefootin_gw

I want to make my own...somehow...

barefootin
17 years ago

I was at a craft fair near Harpers Ferry, WV this last weekend...and these were being sold along with other great yard furniture.....I am wondering if anyone might know how to do this...or help me figure out a pattern of some sort to make one? They are sooo comfy and are done like macrame. If not, I'm tempted to order one..LOL but DH is not happy that it's 195.00 :(

Sherrie

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• barefootin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to add...its a San Pan swing..I totally loved it!

Sherrie

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

that is really cool. I don't have any idea how it was done though. But maybe someone will. that is a pricey swing(-:

• nmgirl
    17 years ago

My neighbor made a swinging chair very similar to this. He used the top ring from an old papsan chair he found at a thrift store and and an old hammock net that he had in his garage. He had to adapt the hammock net to fit the frame but the finished product looks very cool! Old hippie that he is,he left about a foot of the hammock ropes hanging down for fringe. He claims it helps keep mosquitos away but I don't know about that, my cats enjoy playing with it though.
    Anyone else have ideas?

• curbdiver1954
    17 years ago

Do you happen to crochet? Looks like it could be replicated using the top ring of a papa san chair and crocheting macrame cord onto it. I'd probably try starting at the ring and working inward, but might be easier to start at the inside and work out like a potholder or doily. Take a monster hook, tho...h-m-m-m, whittling, anyone? lol

• cait1
    17 years ago

OMGosh!! DH got me TWO papasan chairs (frames only) at an auction for only $1!!! They're sitting in the garage buried under a whole buncha stuff! They sell them on ebay and you may be able to get one real cheap - I've seen them on ebay here going for $5. If you find one and know how to crochet I'm sure you can make it for a lot less than like $200!
    Cait

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Cool idea!!!

• cheribelle
    17 years ago

I'b be more inclined to macrame, starting in the middle. and work to the edges. Of course I know how to macrame, not crochet. I have one of those papasan chairs in the shed, been going to make a swing by hanging the chair because the base is broken.

• barefootin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well...I have resorted to asking if anyone has a Papasan chair with or without the base and cushion on freecycle..ya never know..I might get lucky. I think if I find one I will just hang the round part and put a cushion in it. I have a tree out back it would be perfect in. I decided trying to make one like the pic would take too much time right now...so cheribelle....I like your idea..sounds easy enough...now to find a Papasan chair.

Sherrie

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

If I wanted something like that, I'd try crocheting it in a lover's knot stitch (might be too saggy in that but would try it smaller than I expected to end up with), tricky but I got on to it finally, and once you've got that one, it's fast and fun. I noticed the other poster's suggestion to crochet it.

There are many lovely stitches that could be used to crochet circular designs, but if you don't know how to crochet, that's not an option.

The fringe would be easy, you can crochet heavy cords, too, another stitch or improvise something else.

Don't know what I'd use for the hoop; I'd figure out something but nothing comes to mind offhand.

• barefootin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I even thought about using an old tramboline..the small ones..for the hoop part..and sawing the legs off...am I desperate for one of these swings or what?..LOL

Sherrie

• curbdiver1954
    17 years ago

Sherrie, try freecycle for the mini trampoline. It's one of those things folks get, swear they'll use and end up using for junk storage - opps! May have let something slip there LOL - did that with one. Sold it a few years ago at a GS for like $3. DRAT!! I should know better than to HAVE GS's....ought to just GO TO them!!

• neetsiepie
    17 years ago

So I'm thinking of a basketball net as the seat. If you could get it to stretch and hook onto a frame. You could drill holes in and run eyebolts thru the frame and hook the net to the eyebolts.

Or, you could do some funky knotting...looking at this makes me think $195 wasn't enough to charge! haha. Not gonna go near this idea with a 10 foot pole, it'd drive me bonkers trying to get it done!

• siminsc
    17 years ago

Couldn't you start with a circle of rope in the middle, tie rope pieces to tie onto the round frame and then weave rope in and out of the rope that's on the frame. Much easier than trying to crochet (would a Q hook be large enough) the seat.

• daisy_ny6
    17 years ago

I'd think that crochet would be too stretchy while the knots of macrame would be more secure.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

There has gotta be an old craft book out there in a thriftstore with instructions,,,LET"S GO SHOPPING!!! I mean go on a mission...heh heh!

• seafire1
    17 years ago

You can buy macrame hammocks quite cheap in Mexico. Maybe you an find one online and double it up and attache to the frame.

If it was me I'd just use the hammock, that bar looks like it could hurt!

Pam

• desiderata
    17 years ago

uh oh....I think I'm in trouble!
    the circle on that chair is about the exact same size as a crab pot..
    and I happen to have 4 of them..
    but I wouldn't dare make 4 of them..I still need at least two, for crabbin' at the docks..lol
    they're made of heavy metel and have lasted for years..
    that nylon cording can be bought for cheap at a boating supply store.
    I know how to macrame..but not to that scale..just made hemp necklaces with glass beads..lol

• diamondjennie
    17 years ago

Could you use one of the little trampoline/rebounder frames, then use a piece of fishing net to attach to the outside? It does look very comfy!

• monacda
    17 years ago

Hi just cruisin' through and love this idea. Have a look at this site and see if it helps you. Is easier than macrame for sure. Mona

http://www.caron-net.com/classes/classdecfiles/classdec.html

• party_music50
    17 years ago

I do both macrame and crochet... I would try crocheting it. It's much faster. The tension (or "stretchiness") will be a function of the stitch and the material that you use. Cordage with nylon in it would keep it firmer and also make it withstand the elements better. I doubt if it HAS to be done with super-thick cordage (requiring a huge and unmanageable hook)... use something fairly thick and strong and just keep it simple... it would probably be easiest to crochet by starting at the outside ring.

Find a smaller "ring" object and practice with regular yarn. :)

• dolpicker
    16 years ago

Hiya Barefootin I love crochet and well some thoughts cross my mind. Any place that does welding can make a metal frame for ya at a small cost. They will make whatever size metal circle ya want really. And the crochet thing well they sell very big hooks and ya can even crochet with macrame cord. I personally ouold start at the ring and work in decreasing so that the most strength is at the ring. I was also thinking that recycling the leftover grocery plastic bags is all the age so I would use both the macrame cord and the plastic bags!!! Lots of help and advise atour crochet group at MSN we are Happy Hookers crocheters Paradise come and join and ask away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy Hookers Crocheters Paradise

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting