Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
E-6000 vs. GE Silicone II

Posted by tbledsaw (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 23:43

The summer bug has finally bitten me! I've created a windchime this week and I have not 1, but 3 gazing balls in the works!

Being the novice that I am, I made my first gazing ball several months ago, thinking that hot glue would do the trick. It seemed like it would be able to stand up to the weather, but alas and alack, it did not. The glass globs began popping off at warp speed. One of my gazing balls from this week is the re-do of the original one. It has been quite interesting getting the old hot glue off the ball! Still has a ways to go, but will likely be ready for regluing tomorrow LOL

So, one ball I'm using E-6000 glue and another ball I'm using GE Silicone II. The E-6000 smells to high heavens, and I find the glass globs like to slide around with this glue.

The GE Silicone II is not quite clear. I've read on other forum conversation threads that it could be because it's an odd batch or it's old. I continued using it anyway, simply because the bug bites hard!
I find it is incredibly easier to apply the GE Silicone II than it is the E-6000. Plus the silicone doesn't smell as harsh as the 6000.

The downside of both glues is that they don't dry nearly as quickly as hot glue LOL
The definite plusses are that the glues are both long-term and weather resistant.

If I had to recommend one over the other, I would go with the GE Silicone II, simply because the ease of use and the lesser harshness of the smell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: E-6000 vs. GE Silicone II

I use GE Marine silicone...it's clear and it comes in a manageable tube and boy does it stick!(downside it costs almost $4.00/tube!) Well, it dries in 10 minutes! So I can get a good bit of work done on a bowling ball in a day...I'll glue about a 4"patch, wait 10 mins and do some more...DH says it reeks to high heaven but I don't notice it!lol! I have heard silicone fumes are very bad for you!!! I have switched to making round balls of concrete instead of bowling balls as they could crack when frozen in the winter weather, and concrete doesn't. I make them by mixing up quickcrete and pouring it into an old round glass light fixture, let it cure then smash the glass off it. I just bought some gorilla glue that I may experiment with....mortar is always good too. I seem to love doing glass on glass projects and so have a good supply handy of the marine silicone for that.

o
RE: E-6000 vs. GE Silicone II

I've never seen the marine silicone. Where do you get it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here