Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbledsaw

E-6000 vs. GE Silicone II

tbledsaw
13 years ago

The summer bug has finally bitten me! I've created a windchime this week and I have not 1, but 3 gazing balls in the works!

Being the novice that I am, I made my first gazing ball several months ago, thinking that hot glue would do the trick. It seemed like it would be able to stand up to the weather, but alas and alack, it did not. The glass globs began popping off at warp speed. One of my gazing balls from this week is the re-do of the original one. It has been quite interesting getting the old hot glue off the ball! Still has a ways to go, but will likely be ready for regluing tomorrow LOL

So, one ball I'm using E-6000 glue and another ball I'm using GE Silicone II. The E-6000 smells to high heavens, and I find the glass globs like to slide around with this glue.

The GE Silicone II is not quite clear. I've read on other forum conversation threads that it could be because it's an odd batch or it's old. I continued using it anyway, simply because the bug bites hard!

I find it is incredibly easier to apply the GE Silicone II than it is the E-6000. Plus the silicone doesn't smell as harsh as the 6000.

The downside of both glues is that they don't dry nearly as quickly as hot glue LOL

The definite plusses are that the glues are both long-term and weather resistant.

If I had to recommend one over the other, I would go with the GE Silicone II, simply because the ease of use and the lesser harshness of the smell.

Comments (2)