Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindee11461

Plates finished

cindee11461
15 years ago

Not sure who remembers the plates someone had on last year. They were hand painted. SO cool! Anyhow, I decided to try my hand at some. This is what I came up with. I hung them on our garden fence.(-: I cheated by tracing letters I printed out on my computer with carbon paper(-: I can't really paint that well(-: I used ceramic paint I bought at Michaels. The plates were either from Salvation Army or garage sales. One I got at the dollar store!

{{gwi:157509}}

Comments (32)

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh I love it! Simply adorable. I don't think I could free hand that either. Great tip about using the printer, it came out really well. Is all your fencing a welded wire fence? I would really love to see a bigger photo of your fence. I have welded wire behind my window fence and wanted to continue it around the whole house, but hubby says it won't work. I think it will and looking at yours confirms that. Would you mind posting some more of your fence? Please?

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

That turned out absolutely wonderful! Thanks for the tip about using letters off the computer. Like you, I'd never be able to do it freehand. I have trouble writing my own name! lol! I like the addition of the black plate with the white letter. It adds a very nice contrast to the other plates.

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy, Thanks.(-: I have the fence around the veggie garden/chicken area etc. We haven't fenced the whole yard yet. I want to do that too. I can take a picture of the veggie garden fence though if you want(-:

Luna, Thanks!!!I use to be able to draw freehand until I cut the tip of my middle finger off. You don't realize how much you need that tip of the finger to hold the paint brush etc. LOL Since then I have had to compromise with things.(-:

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

beautifully done!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Those are really delightful, Cindee. I do have a photo somewhere in the album of the others but of course my memory is shot as to who did them. I'm going to put yours in too. I love the fonts and the plates you chose.
    (OUCH on the finger, that's awful)

hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

WOW! I LOVE them! Now I have an idea for using more plates! Haha! Really cute idea--and I have a space on my fence I can use. Thanks for the idea--and I love the "copied" letters!

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I remember the plates, but not who did it...I love yours! I'm still trying to save enough plates for a border for my flower bed, I've got to quit using them all in mosaics,lol!

• weave1022
    15 years ago

WOW!! and thanks for the tip on the carbon/paper. I know my "mind" thinks I can write better than my hand really does!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Wow Cindee I sure do like you idea usung you plates. Everytime I visit here my mind spins with all the new ideas that you junkers post. Just another project posted to do. List is getting longer and longer. LOL

Kathy

• carolinagirl13
    15 years ago

thats a really great idea =) wow thats awesome im sorry im just a first timer on this website lol...and im just shocked of how ppl use ideas like this coolio:) you have to visit my grandma debi's sunflowers(its under garden photo gallery)...please leave me a comment!!!:) Thanks so much!

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Cindee, that is lovely! I remember those plates, too. I thought I had clipped them, but couldnt find them, but yours are spectacular. Thx for sharing on how to do the letters. That was really helpful! I love this idea!! You done a beautiful job! blessings-sherri

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Your sign is absolutely gorgeous! I love the flow of the shapes, sizes & colors that you picked. And to think, these plates were probably every day dishes for somebody way back when.
    How did you attach them to the fence?
    Vickie

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!!! Thanks for all the kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed them(-:

akup_a,
    I attached the plates with plate hangers I got from the dollar store. Then I cut pieces of wire, bent them into a S shape and hung them on the fence.

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

WOW...nice job! I love them!

~Sandy~

• texasfern
    15 years ago

What an eye catcher!

• sugarmaple
    15 years ago

Now that is SO cute! I'm not sure how and where, but I want to do something like that. Very nice!

Colleen

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Ok that is sooooo out of ordinary,nice clean look!!!

• sapphiregirl
    15 years ago

That is just too darn cute!! What a clever idea,......I love it!!...de

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Love the colors you chose...and you must have a steady hand...because even traced letters requires a steady hand! Great alternating...love them! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Very nice and well done. Love the different fonts.
    kathyt

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Another fantastic idea! Kirk

• cait1
    15 years ago

Those look GREAT! I also like that you used different fonts. You sound some very pretty plates! Another wonderful addition to an already exceptionally creative garden!

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

That would be great Cindee. Are you planning on using this type of wire for the fence around your house? If not, do you mind me asking what you have in mind. I'm the world's worst about making up my mind. Thanks for the extra photo's. I hope you get some of your chickies in the picture. I have 7 left thanks to coons. I have narrowed the raccoon population down by two.

• katie_in
    15 years ago

I love them - how about using your last name and putting on a fence.

For us I think we would say "Happy Labs Rescue" and place them on the wooden fence. That is the name of our lab rescue. And maybe one with a picture of a lab face on it.

Oh you have now given me some very good ideas to use up all the plates that I had no idea what to do with.

Thank you - they are very lovely.

• Crafty Gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Cindee, found you over here too! Your plates turned out lovely and make a great addition to your garden.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Those turned out great, Cindee. You really did a great job with the fonts and letter painting. Hmm, I'd love to attach some to my block wall that say "roses". Will have to go collect some old plates and try it I think. Thanks for always sharing your great projects. Luvs

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

Remember them? I bookmarked them... sometimes we need prompts to remind us! Thanks. They turned out beautifully, and I have a weekend project now...

I put the original link below.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Plates

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!!! Thanks for all the nice compliments!!!!(-:
    I hope some of you do make the plates. I can't wait to see your creations!!!!

Luvs, I think Roses would be a great idea!!!!! I did get my blue plate at the dollar store. They have several colors in that style(-:

Nancy, Thanks for finding the link to those plates. I had it bookmarked too but for some reason deleted it. And of course couldn't find it again.

• goldiemn
    15 years ago

Cindee
    I love your plates. You did such a great job picking out unique letters! I just KNEW collecting all those old plates would come in handy. Thanks for sharing.
    Carol L.

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Hi Cindee~

Just wanted you to know that you inspired me to buy some more plates! Just what I needed! I found some that I plan to use for "fall" plates and maybe paint something about welcome fall on them! Thanks again--they make me smile everytime I look at them.

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

...Could I have the "R"? That platter is beautiful! (Does it have any markings on the back??)

• nursetina
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful and soooo cool. You have inspired me. I just had a garage sale and have a bunch of left over saucers and plates. I think they would also make wonderful plant markers. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous creations. Off I go to buy ceramic paints
    Tina