Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyme_gw

Ocean Themed Birdhouse

daisyme
14 years ago

I haven't posted over here for a long time, but I have been checking in lately on some of your wonderful projects. What fun Garden Junk is!

I got a commission some time back to do a birdhouse for a gal's garden with an ocean theme. I never would have believed I'd have so much trouble with it, but it was hard to find the themed pieces and to make this little guy as well. Anyway, he's named "Song of the Sea" and we're much closer friends now that he's finished than we were before.

{{gwi:157790}}

Comments (18)

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Its a beauty. I'd love to see the sides of it too, and the roof.
    kathy

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Very lovely! EVERYTHING...colors, textures, AWESOME! TFS! Jeanne S.

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

Very, very nice! Now if only I can copy it! Maybe I could use some of my faux sea glass on it!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Glad to see you back here, Daisyme. That is an incredible birdhouse...or work of art maybe I should say! I'd keep that one inside, as a collectible!

hugs, Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Really beautiful & on theme! Bet the gal loves it!! No chance of seeing another like it!! Those little fish are perfect & the whale tails!! Great driftwood also!! Jan

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I agree it's a work of art! Very nicely done. TFS

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

You did a fantastic job on it! I'd like to see more pics of it too. Luvs

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

My you are talented, wonderful,did you use a wood house underneath?
    Syble

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all SO much! It's fun to be back over here, Purplemoon. Thanks!

One of the things about this commission is that she wanted one for outside which meant I needed to use a house made for weather, and also had to be careful the pieces were weather-worthy and of how they would grout so the house stayed sealed. Also, she wanted this ocean theme which was difficult for me because I didn't have the supplies on hand to do it. I usually collect lots of pieces over a long time which eventually go together for a theme.

The little fishes were from shards of plates I broke up long ago, and you should have seen me trying to match heads and tails! My granddaughter had already gone through them once for a project too.

I'll try to take another pic or two. I always hate to put much on here, as my pictures are so large.

GmaThyme, DO it! Pull out that seaglass and have some fun! I used some seaglass on another birdhouse I did for my best friend who loves the ocean. If you (or anyone) wants to see, just use this link below and it'll take you some of my other houses. It's been some time since I posted it here.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/daisyme/Birdhouses/

It's fun to have posted on here again. I thought I'd do it since I'd created a real garden-worthy house! More than that though, it was really heartening and fun to read your supportive comments. Thanks again for all your nice thoughts.

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since we're leaving for the weekend, I went out and got this of the side and back. Both sides are similar, and I just HAD to give her a little cottage to enjoy the seaside from!

{{gwi:157793}}

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Everything about that bird house screams "OCEAN, BEACH, SAND, WAVES, SEA, BREEZE,......". I love your work and it makes me want to drag out my supplies and give it a try. Thank you for Sharing such a masterpiece.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Thanks for showing the back...that is so adorable with the cottage. And glad to get the link to your stuff too.
    Come back soon, and often!

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Positively sensational! I love all your birdhouses. You have such a talent for mixing wood, broken pieces and stones. They all look so great, I can' t pick a favorite. I bet the lady you made this one for is absolutely thrilled. I know I'd be!

• highdrainya
    14 years ago

You are a master of creativity. Beautiful.

• imjustsam
    14 years ago

That was well worth all the time you took to pick out the pieces. I think too many people(including me) are in a hurry to finish a project. Im glad you took the time to include the other view as well. It is absolutely beautiful. I hope your friend appreciates it, although I would be tempted to keep that one.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard!! LOL. Daisy...your creation is just BEAUTIFUL!! So serene and I love the seaside colors....ahhhh...makes me feel cooler just looking at it!

Glad to have you back!

• daisyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You guys are too sweet. Thank you so much for all your nice thoughts on this house and for welcoming me back to GJ! I do love it here. The house has actually grown on me since you others like it. I was still upset with it a little for all the problems it caused me in building it. Thanks all of you! I'm anxious to hear back from the gal I made it for. She hasn't seen it yet, and I asked her if she wanted a picture or to be surprised when it arrives. I'll let you know!

• backyardmom
    14 years ago

Wow what a nice birdhouse!!It looks like iy took alot of work,but well worth it..Thanks for sharing...