Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

new junk

luckygal
14 years ago

I'm so excited I just got some new hose guards! LOL do I need a life or what?

Here are a couple I've had awhile. The twisted metal is from an old gate that was free years ago. DH sprayed them white. The insulators were 10¢ each.

{{gwi:157863}}

{{gwi:157864}}

This pic shows one of the insulator type beside the path. Also a few of my totems and other junk in the perennial beds.

{{gwi:157865}}

These are the new ones I'm so excited about - they are from an old fireplace tool set we bot last weekend. DH cut off the shovel, etc. so they just push into the ground, easy-peasy and there are 5 from a set. One set was $1. and DH just found another identical set today in a free box at a YS so will make me 5 more. I plan to use the tool holder on the patio to hang my small garden tools on. Not sure what I'll do with the second tool holder, any ideas?

{{gwi:157866}}

Comments (34)

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Just a couple of words: STUNNING! STUNNING! Your shades of white garden & your glass totems & your twisted white metal hose guards to match...with a touch of aqua! And a STEAL for 10 cts. each! I can't see the last pic of firetool guards...but what a great idea! I can see a "clustered bellflower" (I think that's what it is) in the pic... And I see that you added "heighth" to your guards as capecodr suggested in another post. STUNNING! WOW! What a view from your gardens! Jeanne S.

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jeanne, the "fireplace tool" hose guard is not very tall and is in front of that flower. They kind of fade into the background which is OK in some places.

I've been kicking myself for not buying more of those insulators at 10 cents each. Usually they are about $1-$2 around here.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW!!! Veeerrrry Nice!!! Good score price wise!!! Those insulators around here go for like $10!!! Your garden is lovely, and green! My yard is dry as a bone as we are on severe water restrictions!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Beautiful Garden & love the totems & hose guards!! What a great reuse of old fireplace tools!! Your yard looks like it is part of a garden that you "pay" to go see!! Jan

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Can I borrow what Jeanne said? Cause that is sure my reaction on seeing your pictures!!

That is one fantastic, beautiful, Totem Garden you've created. I could sit out there for hours and hours and be a very happy person. That is sure one for our Totem album.
    Heck, I'm tempted to make it my front page just so I can enjoy it daily on my computer. LOL.

hugs, Karen

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Thank you for the pic of your breathtakingly lovely round garden. And the setting is amazing!
    Oh yes and the hose guards: great ideas.
    kathy

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Ahhh, today your last pic downloaded all the way for me...I see your new hose guard! Looks perfect! Wonderful addition to your gardens! I also see those fireplace tools quite frequently at GS & TS...will be lookin'! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Barbara Kelly
    14 years ago

What a lovely, sweet garden! Intersting hose guards, thanks for that.

Love all your totems, looks like I need to build more..lol

• diggery
    14 years ago

Your garden is breathtaking! Made a hose guide a few yrs back w/an insulator but they are precious round these parts & snapped up fast. Maybe I'll find my old fireplace tool set when we clean out the shed this fall (when things cool down a bit here).

Keep up the good work! And keep posting pics...need all the inspiration I can get these days, lol.

blessings,

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Extremely tastefully done garden.

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments! I assure you my garden looks better at a distance than up close. In our cold zone 3 I don't try to grow anything that's not tough and I need to move a lot of overgrown plants. Will do that once DH has the time to till new beds in our expanded yard.

I've just plunked the totems down in this upper part of the garden as they are then visible from my kitchen and patio. Once we make more beds I'll spread them around and might sell some - but then I'll make more! LOL

We've had quite a bit of rain altho I still have to drag those hoses around. We have a well so aren't restricted much altho water is never free.

Now that I've finally learned to post pics you'll probably see more than you want to. I just have to remember to get out at the right time of day and play with my camera. I'll probably never be a very good photographer but it is what it is.

You all are such a good "audience"! I appreciate the feedback.

• weave1022
    14 years ago

Love your garden. Very peaceful setting!

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I would love to stroll through your totem garden. It is an amazing art glass display. What a delightful peak you have given us.

The fireplace tool hangers?????? I love your idea about using one to hang garden tools. Show us a pic of which kind you have and we will all try and come up with uses for it.

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

WOOOOWWWWW what Jeanne said & the others. Stunnin garden very beautiful setting.. love the hose guard idea...and wow all you totems..like purple moon said too, I could sit out there for hours... you are a lucky gal!!!

• leveta
    14 years ago

Well I guess it's all been said...LOL But your yard is beautiful...The totems make such a great effect...

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

That is one beautiful garden!!! I love the white!! TFS.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Well you just inspired me to run down cellar and get one of the pile of sash weights we have lying by the oil tank and push it into the ground for a hose guard. Unfortunately my glass insulators don't fit on top. (sash weight is too big) I'll have to find soemthing else...
    kathy

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone, so glad you have enjoyed the pics.

Susie, as per your suggestion I took a pic but put in in a new thread. Hope you all have your thinking caps on, I've temporarily misplaced mine! Appreciate any suggestions.

• katladie
    14 years ago

I have insulators, and I have copper pipe, so I will now have hose guards, thanks for the inspiration.

Sharon

• use2bcapecodr
    14 years ago

Your garden is absolutely lovely!!

~Sandy~

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all - glad to return some inspiration. I get so much from this forum. My garden has been a WIP for 13 years, and still is. Lots of changes to be done. Wish I was 20 years younger and it would be a breeze. It'll get done tho, I'm not ready to give up yet! ;-)

• calicocat1967
    14 years ago

Beautiful, peaceful garden. Made me giggle......"a few of my totems". I think I counted 9. LOL !!! They are lovely BTW !!

Keep the pictures and ideas coming !!

Kim

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Looks like everything has been said, so I'll just say DITTO!! BEAUTIFUL!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

The picture of your overall garden is gorgeous! Love how you have arranged your totems. The hose gards are very pretty ... I like the twisted posts you used. I agree with others that you got the insulators for a steal! Keep those beautifuly pictures coming!

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I probably shouldn't admit this but I have 14 totems in that front garden. And another on the front deck and 3 more on the back deck. AND 2 more under construction in the kitchen!!! AND lots more glass to make more. Some will go out in the new garden. Had planned to sell some but might just keep them all.

That twisted metal was part of an old fence DH got free. He always looks around at yard sales so sees the free stuff. I zoom to the glass & dishes right away and spend the money! haha

Thanks for all the very nice comments.

• cait1
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! STUNNING! GORGEOUS!

Just like everyone else said. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your totems. I'm still hesitant to make tall totems but after seeing yours... WHAT AM I WAITING FOR!! How tall are they? And do you take them in for winter? I know they say 'less is more' but you have proved to me that MORE is BEST!!

I could sit all day in that beautiful garden of yours.

• Kathryn Botard
    14 years ago

What a peaceful place you have created. You know, I have some old broken reflectors that would be just the ticket for that idea. Thanks

• nursemaid4
    14 years ago

Sooooooooo beautiful!

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, it's amazing what Mother Nature can do with a little help and she doesn't always get a great deal of help around here!

Cait1, the tallest totem I've made is 48" altho they usually seem to be 36" - 42" tall. I recommend using a level at each layer especially with the taller ones. Because we live in a cold climate my DH moves the totems to the barn for the winter. This next winter they'll live in my garden house which is closer to carry them.

Wish you all could come for tea in the garden - either hot, iced, or Long Island! We'd have so much fun "talking junk"!

• maggie4737
    14 years ago

Your garden is so beautiful!!

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Just beautiful, the word junk doesn't apply to any part of your garden that I can tell.My DH is skeptical about the 12 totems that I have made fitting nicely in our yard, your pics are the proof in the puddin.
    Syble

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again ladies!

My yard this year is fairly "tasteful" as most of the garden junk stayed in the shed as we have been very busy. DH is my "muscle-man" as I can't move most of the "junk" and he's been fencing and building my garden house.

Will definitely post more junk pics as we get it in place.

• threekittens_ia
    13 years ago

Had no idea some of the totems were this tall like the fenced garden way above. I hadn't planned on making one but now I'm on a mission. Stopped at a thrift store tonoc but they were about to close. Got a couple of little things for flower plate centers. Also going to try a couple of those.
    Question, what keeps these totems from tipping over? How are they anchored to the ground?

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Sure is Great to see this at this time of year!!! Inspiring!! Tomorrow I am off to a Seedy Saturday and that will be fun! Just took a tour of my yard and see snowdrops blooming, and my daffys are poking up, I practically measure the millimeter they grow each day!!ha! I Want SPRING!!!!!