Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP My totems will not stay straight

Posted by waterlily_girl 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 0:29

I am a newbie glass totem junkie and need some advice on how to keep my glass totems standing up straight. The base of my totems are beer or wine bottles and when I put them over the rebar (with a copper pipe covering the rebar) they slip and sit sideways or crooked. Does anyone have suggestions on keeping them upright and straight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP My totems will not stay straight

I suppose you could put a dollop of Silicon on the copper pipe, then push it into the bottle base, and wait for it to set-up. Then mount the flower on the rebar. Just a guess

o

Here are a few suggestions that may help you.

1. use shims (small pieces of wood) at least two (one on each side, four would be better) to steady the totem.

2. Since you are using wine and beer bottle, get corks (hobby stores and poss. wal-mart) drill a hole in middle just big enough for re-bar (You want it very snug) and trim cork to fit into neck of Beer/wine bottle.

3. You can get wood dowels large enough to snuggly fit into the Beer/wine bottles. Trim the end of the dowel to a point so it will be earier to pound into the ground.

4. make a wood cap for the rebar (don't drill all the way thru) glue the cap to the rebar (I use E6000) or make a cap out of a cork and then put a good dab of glue on top of the cap,let the glue set up a few minutes before put the totem on.

Hope this help. Chelcass

o

You can buy a foam covering to put on pipe to insulate them, the foam tube is slit to easily go on the pipe, cut a small piece, couple inches long, slip on the rebar or pipe you are using, you can put a bit of silicone to hold it on, then slide the bottle on over the foam it will hold it in place.
You can also use Styrofoam peanuts pushed in to take up the slack in the bottle neck.

o

• Posted by sorie6 5 colorado (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 20:24

Don't stress about them being crooked. Gives them character to tilt!!

o

I have heard people say they use a plate as a base for their totems, which they bury in the ground a bit, or cover with mulch, rather than using the bottle on rebar.

o

Yes that's what I do. Use a heavy plate or the old heavy ash trays work or anything flat and weighty. Keeps your totems straight. Even some old farm implements such as a disk or one I made using a glass block as a base. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here