Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kylslil1

What should I do with this....bait bucket/basket/wire thingie?

kylslil1
13 years ago

I don't even know where this came from. It just showed up in my garage with all my other junk waiting for a project. It's a blue metal basket and the blue plastic thingie pushes down...that's why i thought it was a bait bucket. So....what can I do with this? I wanted to hang it outside maybe from the tree overhanging my back porch with all the sea things. But I don't know what to put in it. What do you guys think??

{{gwi:158201}}

Comments (8)

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

You could plant something in it. Just line it with some sheet moss. It would look cool with the plants poking out of the baskets from the bottom too.

Or you could take a cue from kirkus and fill it with pretty stones. I like it!

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

It is a fish basket. It would look really good with hens and chicks planted in it! Thanks for the idea! I know there are a couple of them around here somewhereLOL I think Luna is right about the sheet moss and to make it less weighty maybe fill it with packing peanuts?

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

kyls...would be a great addition to your nautical theme...good idea about peat moss or you can buy that basket liner stuff (& add dirt)...the bottom round opening would probably need to be wired shut a bit (where the fish come out)...would be great to plant with whatever works in your area in a hanging basket!

The top half of the basket (with the blue plastic) could be filled with coral, seashells, glass balls (maybe blue ones to go with your revamped chair!) or even coiling up of some rope and netting.

Looks like a great recycling project...have fun with it! You'll come up with something you love!
    Jeanne S.

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

YEP it's a fish basket...........thanks for posting b/c I have several unused ones in my grage...but not for long! I like Jeanne's idea especially adding the items on the blue part. Can't wait to dig mine out.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Maybe you could find some fun wooden fish to put in the bottom and I think a blue float in the top be perfect.
    Frou

• hostarhodo
    13 years ago

Like all of your ideas especially if you want a nautical theme. When I first saw it I thought of the eel pots/traps that are used.

I saw a shapely lady, doesn't that bottom half look like a skirt. Put a large ball in the top and then something for the head. Give her a succulent skirt and some other color for the top, maybe even creeping thyme

Could also hypertufa it. Lots of possibilities.

Betty

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Looks like a light fixture to me. Filled with shells, fish models and seaweed, wired with a small lamp and hanging next to your first mate's chair. I'd probably include a little Nemo clown fish in it for whimsy or some squid tentacles for the on/off switch. Or maybe a lead sinker on a fishing line. I dunno, gotta ruminate on this one some more. Cheryl

• kylslil1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow....I post this before I leave on a trip and I come back with so many ideas my head is "swimming"! (i was gone to canada for a week...let me say coming from 109 heat index to walking outside and not sweating...wow...but i digress) I really really like the using this as a succulent sphere...I think i'll have to read up on that. Yet, Bettys idea of a succulent skirt was pretty fab too....and cheryl, the idea of a light fixture had never occurred to me...yet, how wonderful! I'm telling you my head hurts from all the possibilities! ha thank you guys, i'll post some pics from the completed project.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH