Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Update on Old Doors Arbor

jeannespines
14 years ago

Just wanted to send a couple pics to show progress of the old doors arbor...the link below is the original from June 6th. A couple days later I added a "Pretty Crimson Mandevilla" bushy plant and Purplemoon's green glass butterfly...here is that pic (from June 8th):

{{gwi:155834}}

Now I've moved that white lilac bush that was in front of the arbor ...to the back by shed...the empty spot is where I want to put "seating" of some sort...still on the hunt for something...chair or plain bench...would love to find one of those old ice cream chairs like I've seen some of you GJers' found...or a white wrought iron??? Here's a pic from front view today (you can see the Knock-Out Rose...grown some & also White Cleome shot up from 3" plants!

{{gwi:158208}}

Here's a view from backside...that's a "Quick Fire Hydrangea" I planted in '07 by the metal shed...it flowers white, then pink, then red...a great bush!

{{gwi:158210}}

And here's that beautiful Mandevilla bushy plant...I am in awe that it grew for me! I baby it and give it water every day (as I was told)!

{{gwi:78056}}

And I added a "sun" (cast iron) & spray painted it red...on the wren house nearby:

{{gwi:158213}}

Will one of you please send me "your" ice cream chair? I've seen some beauties in this forum! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Door Arbor Complete link

Comments (29)

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

It's filled in beautifully around your arbor!! The moon matches the red flowering hanging plant, love the 3 color hydranda, didn't know there was such a plant!! You do need to find the perfect seating for that area, maybe a lawn glider?? Jan

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I sure would love to sit in your beautiful garden, with a glass of ice tea and a good book. Such a gorgeous, peaceful place.

hugs, Karen

• luckygal
    14 years ago

That is really beautiful - love the red accents! Never would have thot of painting a sun red but it looks great! :-)

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Jeanne, I love your arbor! What a great idea too. Wanna come build one for me???? Oh, I didn't think so. Oh well, at least I can admire your's. ;o) Just joking. Luvs

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

Everything looks so nice! I love the red mandevilla. It looks stunning against the white door!

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Just precious, wish I had room, may have to make room. I think it would frame a birdbath nicely, till you could find your seating.

• calicocat1967
    14 years ago

I printed out your pic the first time to put in my "projects to do" folder. Love the red and white together. Beautiful !!

Kim

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

If colors were feelings then indeed Red would be the color of the Hot Sun!!!! The sun here in TX is not yellow it is white. It does glow red in some places when it sets. This time of year it is hot all the way until it dissapears. People can finnally emerge from their homes just in time to be eaten by the mosquitoes. I say if there is such a thing as a PurpleMoon there indeed must be a Red Sun!

Hubs and I love your arbor so much we would love to copy the idea when we luck upon two doors with that much character. Your special plantings and accessories really punch it up.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Susie:Purplemoon, red sun!lol!!!
    Jeanne: Thanks for the update on this, it is such Eye Candy!!!

• daisyme
    14 years ago

What a charming and PERFECT piece for a garden! I just love it!

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

That's wonderful! When I saw the original pic, I didn't realize the handles were still on the door...I love that they are! AND, I'm in love with your red sun face!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

The sun here can get real red during certain times of year at sunset. And tho there are times the moon can have a purple tint, I haven't been able to see it. Maybe I need a telescope.
    or maybe SusieRose and I should quit drinking. LOL

hugs, Karen

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Karen, Did you know that I do not get to drink anymore at all? I cant even go to a wedding and have wine in a rain barrel. Notta. :( I can never say I had a few drinks and misspelled words on the Forum. No I truly can not spellt!!! LOL I blame the "Old Woman" for robbing me of my memory which included all of my elementary school spelling tests. I am typing in the dark these days. Laud!!!!

HI-JACK!!!!!! I HI-JACKED THE POST. I may be sent to Disneyland for sure now.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ahhh, susieroses...HI-JACK a-weigh!!! That's sailor talk...oh no, maybe it's trucker talk...whatever! I don't mind a bit ... I luv my red sun .... and purplemoon is the best!

Here's a pic from the other side view that shows the wren house with red sun (I do have some red monarta (bee balm) planted in front of it...don't like the steel fence post now)....and notice the "empty" spot for my chair or bench (hint! hint!) I can't believe no one has offered to send me their ice cream chair!!! LOL! LOL! Still looking...saw a metal bench on sale today ($38) but it was "brownish" ...I want a "recycle!" That's mulch & pine needles for ground cover.

{{gwi:158214}}

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions, GJers...no bird bath here though...cause I "hand-carry" water to this garden. Thanks for lookin'! Jeanne S.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

I love that arbor .You did a great job .

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures of the arbor, it is a beauty! One day you'll have to charge people admission to visit your garden, it must be beautiful to behold in a single tour. Besides the arbor itself, I really covet that that hydrangea! Great job on the garden and the arbor :^)

• jennie_in_mt
    14 years ago

Jeanne, that is darling. I have to laugh because I have the matching garden shed. My hubby and I built it out of old doors, and we call it the Garden Closet!

{{gwi:158216}}
    We have lights strung around the adjacent patio, and these little dragonfly lights seemed a good accent for the closet. I have an extension cord attached to a power strip so that I have light inside for working on dim evenings.

{{gwi:158217}}

We made the roof with recycled corregated tin roofing.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Ok, let's see Jeanne....I think I can catch a flight to your house tomorrow.....what a pretty setting you have there!! Love the arbor and how all of the plants are filling in. The Hydrangea is beautiful and the other plants are really popping too. And I LOVE the red sun plaque!!!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Jeanne, I have one of those old ice cream parlor sets. I could bring my two chairs and you make the ice tea, we could sit and chat. (d r e a m i n g........sigh.)
    I think you need a Totem Birdbath, LOL, to finish off the spot. And that iron bench sounds good too.

SusieRose, I can't drink either thanks to the Fibro meds.
    dang it. Drinking would be cheaper and more fun tho...
    hmmmm.

hugs, Karen

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

Jeanne. What a beautiful setting! I love the Mandevilla vine. Didn't know there is red. I posted a pic of a white one on the gallery. Take look if you get time.
    Your arbor is great. Hope you find a chair soon.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ahhh, thanks GJers! Oh how I wish we could take "tea" tog....(water for me, please)... But I make tea for DH & would happily make it for GJ friends! (especially if you brought the ice cream chairs!) You would have to overlook my weeds, though, they grow so good in ALL my gardens! And now the "Japanese Beetles" have found my cannas & some other plants!

jennie-in-mt...Your "Garden Closet" is just the cutest! I luv that idea & looks like you have a perfect spot for it...dragonflies are so cool...great accent!

sorie...I posted on your pic...beautiful mandevilla!
    Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Jeanne and Jennie, I love both of your projects. What clever ladies you both are to come up with the arbor and shed. Punk

• Kathryn Botard
    14 years ago

Jennie, which door do you go in?

Love your projects.

• jennie_in_mt
    14 years ago

The 2 doors in the front operate. The one with the glass is the main door. The narrow door latches to it and to the floor. When I am just getting in and out quickly, I use the glass door. When I need to get something big out, or work on a big project, I open them both.

Jeanne, I love your door arbor and it sure has my mind turning to some sort of arbor to mirror the garden closet.

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Jeanne & Jennie ~ you gals are so lucky to have hubbys who enjoy being your carpenters! I'm still workin' on my DH :-)

I love old door and window projects, this is a great thread. I'll just look at your beautiful pics and WISH lol. ~tenderlee

• Janet Myers
    14 years ago

WOW! What a great arbor. I just love it. I think it's the neatest arbor I have ever seen.
    You did a eally great job.
    Piper

• use2bcapecodr
    14 years ago

What a lovely arbor! It's really quite elegant!

The shed is great!

~Sandy~

• joega
    14 years ago

Love it!!!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Jennie: LOVE that shed!!!
    Jeanne: And of course the arbor is to die for too!!!

Sponsored
Five One Eight Contracting, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars64 Reviews
Arlington's Top Rated General Contractor | Best of Houzz 2016-2021