Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinfoilhat

Rusted Junk

tinfoilhat
12 years ago

I hide out in the hot afternoons under my shop sunshade. Came up with these while hiding out.

Barb Wire Terrier

{{gwi:158502}}

Thomas Tortoise - An American SW Tortoise made with Chevy pressure plate, John Deere excavator tooth, and Southern Pacific RR spikes.

{{gwi:158504}}

Unidentified Garden Bug. Indian rocker arm, Japanese speedometer drive gear, and American horseshoes welded to German VW crankshaft.

{{gwi:158505}}

Comments (15)

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Tinfoilhat...Your critters are awesome. You are so creative. Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

How nice of you to provide Mr. Barbwire Terrier a nearby place to pee!LOL Don't think too many critters are going to cozy up to him, his back looks like he might be dangerous.Mr tortoise is so neat,he's my favorite! Interesting bug, tho he reminds me of my GK's wiener dog! Glad you managed to find some shade & get creative! TFS Jan

• rafor
    12 years ago

Great critters!!! I'm so jealous you can weld :)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

These are all so awesome, but the terrier is my fave. He seems to have "expression" like my little dog (tho mine is not a wire-haired). You are very talented, they all seem like they are about to move. Beautiful rustiness too.
    Kathy

• User
    12 years ago

You are a master with a welding torch. I love all your creations.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

These critters are lucky to have found a home with you! I assume welding is a craft that can be 'learned' (altho alot a work & practice, I presume!)...but your spectulation of what good ol' junk can be in another life is ART (well, I won't try to define 'art)...just enjoying your wonderful imagination & what you accomplish in your shop sunshade! TFS! Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I wish those were in MY garden!!!
    They are awesome....

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

AWESOME seems to be the word of choice...and a well-deserved one! Love your imagination and creativity. That Terrier is just exceptional, you really caught the look and attitude!

I'd love to live in a house between you and Robert...then I could enjoy all the welded critters up close and personal. And maybe find a way to sneak a few in my yard.
    LOL.

BTW, I saw this Buzzard and thought of you...well not in THAT way!! LOL. But isn't this a cool looking bird, and his shadow shows how realistic his rusty body looks.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Buzzard

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Purplemoon, great buzzard, should be something both guys can make!! I didn't like the helmet turtle tho, too spooky for me, like it was dead soldier's helmet or something. Oh, I like the buzzard's coloring with bits of red & blue in with the rust! Jan

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Jan, I was looking thru the Junk and Scrap Art pool on Flickr...tho to me, not many critters match what Tinfoil comes up with!!
    I did find a neat scorpion that would look great in his desert yard and I bet he could do one easily.

In my next life, I want to be a welder, LOL. Meanwhile I'll have to settle for being in T's fan club.
    hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: scorpion

• tinfoilhat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I followed the photo streams of those 2 links and their work is incredible and imaginative. Manuel's work with steel and rock is beautiful. I have no shortage of rock here but I don't know if I have the patience to make the settings to hold each individual rock. If I'm understanding how he holds each rock that is almost jewelry work.
    Have a look at this lizard.
    I know that is going to gnaw on me till I try it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monster

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Wow! The heat must make your creative juices flow even freer! Love the terrier, the turtle and the bug! You have such great "stuff" to work with too....kudos to you!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

That lizard is fantastic!! Looks like there are 2 wires going on edge of each of smaller pieces, wonder if like you said he welds on pieces & then holds the rock in "clip-like" or prong-like might be better description,fashion. That is 1 beautiful creature tho. I love it!! The flat rocks are beautiful too! Jan

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

WOW, Tin, I hadn't seen the "rock lizard". What a fantastic piece! I spend hours on Flickr and get sidetracked by photo streams and other group pools and then forget where I started. LOL. I'll have to check out Manuel's other work, but right now I can't imagine him creating anything better than this lizard.

I can't wait to see what you come up with it now he planted the rock idea in your head. Maybe you should do a photostream on Flickr so MANY more folks get to see your incredible creations! Please think about it.

hugs, Karen

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Tinfoilhat, you are an exceptional metal worker! That terrier is an incredible work of art. You need a "beware of dog" sign, because, as SunnyCa says, he looks dangerous!

The rock lizard is impressive too. Manuel's work is truly impressive also.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner