Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

Pics of My New Potting Shed

lindasewandsew
15 years ago

My new potting shed is close enough to being finished to put the stuff in it. This is what the area looked like before we got rid of the pool. It was pretty ugly.

{{gwi:159137}}

DS built this little shed for my BD to fit on the old cement pad. We screened the top, since it sits under a patio roof. DH added a light directly above it before the shed got here. The door has screen and a couple old screen door kick panels. They don't match, but matching stuff doesn't always show up on the curb, lol.

{{gwi:159142}}

Front view. I keep threatening DS that I'll move this into the living room, and then he can build me a potting shed, lol.

{{gwi:159145}}

Peeking in the doorway, which is a little over 6 feet tall. Inside, it's 63 inches wide and 27 inches deep.

{{gwi:159149}}

These are the top shelves on the south wall. These are above eye level and the bottoms are painted black. DH was a good sport about installing the walls, shelving, sink and signs, even though it's not easy to work with me, lol.

{{gwi:159151}}

Here's the sink. It was $10 at Habitat Restore. We'll be adding a backsplash, haven't decided what yet. It's hooked up to a garden hose and drains into the flower bed next to it.

{{gwi:159154}}

Below this shelf, there's a basket that fit perfectly. We put a board on the back of it so it can be pulled out like a drawer.

{{gwi:159157}}

Back wall. We'll be adding tool hangers here.

{{gwi:159159}}

Looking up at the top shelves on the north wall.

{{gwi:159161}}

More shelves on the north wall.

{{gwi:159163}}

Same shelves with a big covered can on the floor for potting soil.

{{gwi:159165}}

Guess there's no excuse now to leave all those tools around the yard to see how long it takes for them to waste away, lol. Now it's time to fill it up, yay!!! Linda

Comments (33)

• jampack
    15 years ago

Linda, Not only Beautiful, but Brilliant!! and thanks for the informative pix!
    Jan

• Bright199
    15 years ago

OOHHH MY GOODNESS!!!! WOW!!!! AMAZING!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! And so very creative!!! I WANT ONE!!! What a wonderful gift. Do you rent your DS out at all?? It is one of a kind that's for sure. And I know you will dec it out just beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Keep the Pictures comming.

• weave1022
    15 years ago

Oh! So! Coooooooooooooooool!!!!!

Great job, thanks for sharing!!!

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

WOW! Amazing! I love it!

• jutes
    15 years ago

I so envy you , that is the coolest potting shed I have ever seen. I want one. I love it, It looks like a huge armire or something.
    Jutes

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Lindasewandsew - That is just so YOU! I LOVE IT!
    Great use of the signage for shelves...and love your personal license plate! The cabinet style is just awesome! Oh boy, give that DS a big hug for bldg. it He's awesome and knows you well apparently! A brilliant idea to put the screen on top also! GREAT DESIGNING, sewandsew, ENJOY! Jeanne S.

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Holy moley...that's awesome!

It looks so antiquey! I love it!

Wherever did you get the Wicked Sisters spice sign? I would love to find one. I googled it and come up empty!

~Sandy~

• plumbnelly
    15 years ago

Wow! That is absolutely amazing! The outside looks like an antique wardrobe! Your DS is very talented. I also love how you used the signs as shelves- what a creative idea. Post more pictures when you get it decorated. It is beautiful!

• akup_a
    15 years ago

What an awesome piece of outdoor decor you're son created. I love the yellow interior. You truly have two wonderful dudes in your life. Can't wait to see you moved in with the shelves full, the tools hung, and your work all done!
    Vickie

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

It turned out just great Linda! Good way to use some of those signs you've been collecting too. You three are so good at recycling/reusing/repurposing into fantastic creations! Love your "personalized" license plate too. Luvs

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the nice compliments. I was expecting a funky simple shed. He went way over the top making it nice. It's fun to have a tiny room to decorate with signs and junk. I'll probably paint the outside in a couple of years. DS is surprised that it isn't already red with stuff all over it. I coated it with that termite liquid and stained and sealed it for now to make sure it's protected. I might be able to rent him out, lol, but he has a day job building movie sets, so between that and his three little ones, he doesn't have much time left.

Sandy, Big Lots had those Wicked Sisters signs last Halloween. They were made by that famous artist, China, lol. There's a chance they may have them again this year. Anyone with some talent for painting could probably paint one for you. It's thin metal, but could be done on wood. These cheap signs also won't hold up outside, and will fade away quickly. This one got rust on the bottom edge, because of a little moisture when it was stored. It already had a white zigzag edge, so I sanded off the rust and painted the edge black. Linda

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Looking at the lovely outside, one would never know what funky fun it contains inside. Love all the hilarious signs you managed to find and put to good use. The personalized license plate is great too. Looks like you will have lots of fun in there this summer! Thanks for the grand tour :^)

• kat4kittens2002
    15 years ago

how cleaver!! you ds and dh did a fantastic job!!
    kathy

• mad_about_mickey
    15 years ago

I love your new shed ! I have a question as to how the sink was hooked up to a garden hose. Could you possibly tell me what kind of fittings are needed? I have a sink out on deck of the potting shed that I can't figure out how to hook to a hose.I hate moving hose ...... Please help a befuddled junkster.....thanks

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

WOW !!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
    MAN OH MAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> G R O O V Y !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    just plain outta sight !!!!!!!!!!!!! Way C O O L !!!
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wanna come over and play with you !!!!! ( L@@KS Fantastic !!!
    Go Girl.............Go........... Have Fun !!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing the pics and the IDEAS !!!!
    God Bless !!!!
    SusieSunshine

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

WOW that is a masterpiece for sure!!! What a wonderful shed you have!!!!!!!

• spedigrees z4VT
    15 years ago

That is one impressive potting shed! I don't blame you for threatening to bring it into the livingroom! It looks like a fine piece of furniture, an antique armoire.

I would never paint this; the rich wood is beautiful and gives it an antique appearance.

I got a kick out of your "confined space procedures" sign! It's perfect. lol

Also how wonderful to have a real sink that drains into the garden. I wish my kitchen sink could be similarly plumbed so I did not have to be so careful about what I put down it!

Your hubby indeed did go all out with this project. Lucky you!

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the plumbing hookups. We went to HD and easily found every fitting needed. The hot water hookup is capped off under the sink because the water pours out there if not capped. You can use the sinks and hoses in the store to test for size. A kitchen sink may be a different setup. We didn't install the elbow, and some things put down the drain in the kitchen may not be wanted in the dirt.
    {{gwi:159167}}

{{gwi:159168}}

{{gwi:159169}}

This little sign (TS find) will go on the front of the shed. Linda {{gwi:159171}}

• spedigrees z4VT
    15 years ago

Hi Linda, I just read this thread more carefully, including the part about your hubby's job building movie sets. That sounds like a really interesting occupation. No wonder his work on your potting shed was so amazing.

As to the plumbing, it would work fine for our kitchen sink, but is illegal here to empty drains onto the ground. (I have nasty neighbors who would certainly report me. Oh well..) You're probably right that some of the chemicals I use in my kitchen would harm garden plants. (I use a lot of chlorine bleach.) Anyways it was interesting to see how he did it.

Again that is a real cool shed and you have a very talented hubby. But you must already know that. ;-)

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Spedigrees, Son builds sets. Hubby and I are retired. Both of them can do just about anything, and I'm an expert at making a mess, lol. Chlorine bleach isn't likely to harm anything in the flower beds, as long as you're not using gallons at a time. I believe it just turns to salt when dry. Things that may be harmful to your soil are vinegar, fats and oils, and any bits of animal products would attract flies and other critters. There's a soil and compost forum here on GW where they could tell you what not to dump. You could use a dishpan and just throw it outside when done. Linda

• leveta
    15 years ago

That is so neat. Love the old world charm....It's wonderful. You know if we can get some of the DH's together who knows what we may get.....lol...

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Lindasewandsew...I forgot to mention the talent of your DH in my post! DS did a wonderful job...but DH made it shine! Love these talented DH's! Jeanne S. And I love the additional 1897 sign! Also am for keeping it in the natural wood tones...so rustic!

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

wow, I had to keep looking at the photos...then I realized that gorgeous piece of furniture was your potting shed! LOL Wow again! I am SO jealous :)

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Linda, it is GORGEOUS! So happy for you that it is finished, now you can play!!! Although, with a piece like that, I would still be tempted to bring that one in and use it for an armoire or entertainment center, it is very beautiful. I have to say, you have the classiest potting shed I've ever seen!! Have alot of fun with it!!! blessings-sherri

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh, your guys built that? That is just too amazing. How beautiful.

• ashli
    15 years ago

Fanciest potting shed I have ever seen...
    Very pretty wood.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

That beautiful piece would be in my house immediately, I've always wanted an armoire!! LOL, and a giant one like this would really be something! The wood is gorgeous! I'd like to "adopt" your son for a year or so. LOL

hugs, Karen

• dannab1
    15 years ago

Awesome! I love all the signs. I am inspired to start working on a sink for my potting area. What a great idea!

• mad_about_mickey
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the pix of under the sink. My dh can understand better when I show him a picture !!

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

you just gotta love a man who loves you that much. A real keeper. Great Shed Linda. I also like the nothing happened here sign...Will have to steal that saying. June

• rosebush
    15 years ago

That is the most GORGEOUS potting shed I've ever seen! I'm drooling. . .

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Linda,

What a great piece. Only lacks a 'chamber pot' and it becomes a guest house. LOL

I can see so much happening on the outside. Maybe one of those succulent wreaths on the door with tiny terra cotta pots all around it. Draping plants spilling over the top roof edge. Mini window boxes on each side of the door (or sides of the shed). Small window/mirrors above the window boxes. The planter boxes can hold extra hand tools also.

You are blessed and well loved. Have fun with that Adult sized doll house. We girls never quit making mudd pies. We just call it gardening now. Ha. (That would make a great sign.)

Susie

• cait1
    15 years ago

Simply gorgeous! I think I can use your DH here!! LOL Do you do loan outs???? HAHAHAHAHAHA I'm sure he got lots of kudos for it! My DH is currently making new front steps to the verandah. We were going to hire someone to build out the verandah and make new steps but he wanted $12,000 to do the job!!!! We of course turned that down so are happy making new front steps ourselves. We don't relly need a wider verandah.

Anyway... it's really fantastic and I think everyone has potting shed envy now!! I know I do!! HA!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES