Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Log, again

Posted by dcarch Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 4, 10 at 7:06

G.W. is acting funny.
Trying agian.

Some time ago someone was asking what to do with 3", 4" logs.
Here is one option.

dcarch

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Log, again

Very cool! Love the ambiance it gives. Thanks for the idea!

o

Wonderful!!
I love it....
Now please tell us how you did that--
Inquiring minds want to know.

o

Well d, you must have read my mind. My son just brought me 6 ot 7 big round posts about that length I was wondering what to do with. Someone did a lovely job with those. What do you have to carve the whole inside out? With a chainsaw?

o

Nice job! Very rustic looking. I agree with garden2garden, you'll have to share with us how you managed to cut out the inside so neatly. Is that a battery operated candle in there?

o

Lovely recycle!! Jan

o

Oh I missed seeing your posts! TFS!!! Great Idea and as always creative and illuminating!!!

Nanagrandma/Sylvia

o

Beautiful!

It was I who had the logs. Black birch. I put mushroom spore in 3 of them (strawberrygoat's suggestion) then dh cut them up. I grabed one of the prettiest short pieces and put it aside before he split them. So I have one piece that I could do that with, in theory anyway.

Kathy

o

Thanks guys.

Here was how I did it:

Tools:

Drill, drill bit, chisels, hammer. sandpaper.

You will need a large diameter wood coring/drill bit. A Forstner Drill Bit works better than a spade type drill bit.

I used a 2" drill bit.

Mark off the distance between holes you will be drilling. It will be easier to drill every other hole fisrt and then drill in between.

A line of holes are to be drilled thru the log, and then at 90 degrees, drill another line of holes thru the log.

By the time you finished drilling the holes, most of the wood in the center of the log will be removed.

Using chisels, carve out more wood.

It would be easier if you have a drill press. Although a hand drill can do the job also.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here