Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsy_rheaume

Candles in the garden?

Betsy Rheaume
14 years ago

I love the look of candles in the garden. I just read an article in Fine Gardening where they used different household items for candle holders. But my problem is I'm too cheap to buy candles to burn outside. So I guess I'll just look at the photos. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Candles

Comments (15)

• Barbara Kelly
    14 years ago

Wonderful ideas, I buy my outdoor candles and light globes at my local thrift store, very cheap. I burn through them fast, so I don't need expensive ones. Usually between 25 cents to 1.00 for larger ones. Much better than the other stores. I use old light globes and turn them on their sides, insert a tea light, and I'm done. I liked the paper towers on some of them at the website.

• shpnquen
    14 years ago

What a great idea for the different globes you can find at YS & TS!

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Lots of good ideas...but I don't burn candles much outdoors either...only if there is a party or such, but they are really pretty to look at! Thanks for sharing with us!

• akup_a
    14 years ago

Love the glow of soft lights at night in the outdoors. No matter what mood I'm in, the warm glow soothes me. I really like the leaves wrapped around the glass.
    Vickie

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

PQ,

Those are all so very nice. Dulcimerduos ideas are great. You can find some really good stuff for outdoors at the thrift stores. I LOVE candles too but they are relegated to the indoors and generally only during the fall/winter. When I tried even justa citronella candle in the garden it melted completely everyday because of the sun (not burning). SO. I have strands of lights in certain places. I have a few solar malibu lights too......
    Love, Jules

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

I like the look of the hanging jars with candles within. If mason jars (canning jars) were used, one could suspend them by the wire locking mechanism. I have a couple very pretty blue mason jars that might lend themselves to this purpose.

I would worry about paper or leaves placed around a candle though. This sounds like a recipe for an accidental fire, esp. if the wind were blowing.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Thanks for that link - I love the "ice bucket", milk glass, and the lamp globe. I'd be afraid to use anything flammable near candles.

I use tealights I buy at Ikea for less than $4 for a bag of 100. Sometimes they are on sale for 1/2 price and I've also found them in YS. I think I have enough for the rest of my life! The Ikea ones are better quality than some I've bot elsewhere. They burn for about 4 hours so are good for an evening.

I've made tealight holders out of clear glass cups and saucers. Must get those outside and take a pic. I also put them in YS lanterns of various styles. I love candles.

Here is a link that might be useful: tealight candles

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Dulci- I gave my Grandbabylove a rather large 8th Birthday party. I took the vellum paper and copied pictures of each of her friends. It goes through the copier pretty well. Then I wrapped them around candle votives and set them on tables.

Thanks for all of the great ideas everyone!!!!

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

LOVE candles! I often find great deals on them at garage sales because some folks don't share my passion and sell them.OK with me!

• Betsy Rheaume
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will definitely be looking at GS from this moment forward. The really sad thing is, at this point, my garden looks better in the dark. LOL But I'm working on it. :-)

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

I love candles or torches in the garden the problem is here in the summer you don't want to sit outside when its 105+ degrees. Unless you have a pool which we don't. Oh well cooler temps will be here before you know it!!! I love Summer!!!!!!!!! Early mornings are when I sit outside and have a cup of coffee and survey my gardens(-:

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

PassionKnit,

Thank you for that wonderful link with great ideas. I do use a lot of candles in my yard/garden, especially during Spring and Summer.

Being in Southern Calif. we spend more time outdoors in the evening than indoors and whether I'm enjoying coffee after dinner or transplanting into a new container, I really enjoy my candles outdoors.

Some of you have problems with the candles melting in the heat.
    I went through many a candles before I figured out a way to save them from melting during the day.

My son moved back home with his little dorm refrigerator.
    We put it in the garage and it was supposed to hold overflow soda.
    Well, it does, but I have left a space for a decorative metal tray.
    On the tray are my candles.

It takes me five minutes to gather the candles that will be in direct sunlight the following day, place them on the tray and then into the fridge.
    Takes me a few minutes longer to set up the candles/lighting them, but it's worth it to have my candle light in the garden in the evenings, and it saves me bucks not having to replace sun-melted candles.

Since we opted for candle light instead of our electric lights (porch light, side wall garage light, security light, several strands of decorative lights) the cost for running the small fridge in the garage equaled out.....no noticable raise in our electric bill because of the garage fridge.

For inexpensive candles try Big Lots if you happen to have one in your area.
    A bag of 100 votives = $1.98.
    Four inch pillars are usually under $2.

Cindee11461,
    Like you, there's nothing better than surveying my gardens first thing in the morning with that first cuppa. :)

Susiewantsroses,
    Brilliant...copying her friends' pics on Vellum and wrapped around candles!!!

Again, thank you for that link with great ideas for my candles and all the ideas you've all added!

• johnaschen
    13 years ago

Wow! Its really look like Awesome!...I love the look of candles in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: parasols

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I use old fashioned cheese graters (the rectangular, upright kind)and set them over tealights. Pretty with the light shining through the holes, like fairy lights!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I really like those "fake" candles too. They are safer than real ones and you don't have to worry about them melting or adding more heat to the air.

I like the light globe and milk glass ideas. You see those globe light shades everywhere for next to nothing. I'll have to look for some so I can try this.

Thanks for sharing some great ideas!

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living