Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another ? before I start

Posted by greylady-gardener 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 8:21

So two weekends of 'garage saleing' and a trip to the hardware to get the silicone, and I am finally going to put together my first totem this afternoon!! ....but was just wondering about how to place them in the garden as I think it may affect my decision as to what to use as a base. I am not sure it the totems are best placed on a secure base of some sort like a square patio stone, or if they would be okay just placed on the soil in the garden. Are they going to be tippy if not on a patio stone? Will the plate on the bottom crack if the ground is a bit uneven and doesn't give even support?

what do most of you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another ? before I start

I just use a heavy duty plate for a base such as a microwave turntable plate mine work great hope this helps

o

I use microwave plates the majority of the time on mine, too. Cake plates are my second choice.
Some put the bottom plate underground, but I keep mine on top, because it keeps the spatter down when it rains.

o

I just put a heavy dish, plate, or ashtray on the bottom of mine..with some width to it. I place them directly on the mulch in my garden and they do fine.

o

Thanks to each of you for answering my question. I am just home and finished lunch and am anxious to get started.

I settled on a totem consisting of five pieces so I guess I should be able to attach them all at once........or should I do two or three and then wait for them to set a bit.....nervous questions......I just need to 'take the plunge' and not be so worried! :-)

thanks again, I will be back with pics as soon as I can.

o

I always do mine at 1 time unless it is really a tall piece

o

Now is the silicone the same as Marine Glue? I've been using Marine Glue and the hardware dude said the glue would outlast the glass. Am I doing this wrong?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here