Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
easternwa_woman

Cracked Plastic Bird Bath

easternwa_woman
13 years ago

The bowl of my plastic bird bath has two hairline cracks in the bowl and won't hold water now. Any ideas on what I can do with it so I can continue to use it as a bird both? Thought about plastic glue and broken plates to cover the bowl but not sure if that's safe for birds or if it will hold up. Each crack is in the center, crossing each other and are about two inches long. Hate to just throw it in the trash..

Comments (10)

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

I've heard tell of others using plastic bird baths as a mold, filling the entire thing with concrete and then having a concrete birdbath instead of plastic.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

You may be able to use silicone to glue it back together...that won't hurt the birds. Some of our GJers have also mosaiced their birdbaths...you could do a search in the bar at the bottom of the page to see theirs.

• pondgal
    13 years ago

I had a big crack in one once and we used epoxy on it. Just painted the epoxy over the crack. It worked !

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Someone in last couple of months used a plastic birdbath for a concrete mold including the base so whole thing is concrete now. Think she used something in it-Vasoline or something so the concrete would release. Even looked like a great little table or plant holder. But it may have been on here or the forum "trash to treasure" Think it was posted as a birdbath. Jan

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

I had one that cracked. I put a gob of silicone on my index finger and pushed it into the crack.... it held water for years after that until a tree branch landed on it.

I just couldn't throw the base away just because the top was smashed so I have a base to play with. I was thinking the other day how it would be cool to drill holes in the sides of the base and grow annuals in it, like those hanging bags.... or maybe I could stick hens and chicks in there too.

• silversleuth
    12 years ago

My birdbath is 1/4" thick and made of some sort of heavy plastic. Years ago it developed similar cracking with part of it pushing down, possibly from freezing water. I push the parts back in-line and spread silicone based adhesive over the crack. This has only temporary success, 6-9 mos. I'm looking for a more permanent fix, perhaps trying epoxy next. Any other ideas? Anybody know what plastic bird baths are usually made of?

• jlily
    12 years ago

I know it would not be a birdbath but my cement one got a crack. I filled it with dirt. It made a delightful succulent planter. That might give you another option. Jlily

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I used mine as a mold to make a concrete table. I filled the bowl with concrete to make the table top but you could probably cut the top open and put in concrete to make a bowl that would hold water.
    Kathy
    {{gwi:160306}}

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I love that mold idea for a cracked birdbath...awesome, crete! Concrete should last a long time!
    Jeanne S.

• joanna pocock
    last year

I think I am going to make my plastic cracked birdbath into a succulent pot and buy a new birdbath