Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kweenofkings

satelite dish birdbath

kweenofkings
15 years ago

Only garden junkers understand the joy of turning an old satelite dish into a birdbath. Normal people think you are crazy!!

{{gwi:160319}}

Comments (26)

• daisydal
    15 years ago

You are definitely the KWEEN!! The kween of birdbaths! That is GORGEOUS!! Now, I will be looking for those in the dumpsters!!! Great job, how inventive you are and your mosaic is PERFECT!! Thx for sharing! (by the way, where yall be at in Oklahoma??) blessings-sherri

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I have one of those in our yard that they concreted into the ground...We've ask them to come get it but it's been there over a year not being used.

I think I just might do something like that to mine.

thanks for the idea....

patti

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

Just what I had in mind!!! My daughter wants me to make her a birdbath. I was looking around to see what I had...and I have a cement birdbath base, and a satelite dish. I had already decided that would be her birdbath...just haven't decided how to finish it yet.

You did a great job with yours!

Be Safe, Rach

• spedigrees z4VT
    15 years ago

Wow that is amazingly gorgeous mosaic work! I've seen other satellite dish bird baths, but nothing this impressive.

• imjustsam
    15 years ago

Well KweenofKings, I think normal people stink. That is beautiful. Ahhh I have found my people. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous mosaic.

• kat4kittens2002
    15 years ago

wow what talent!! so pretty.
    kathy

• debby_1
    15 years ago

We have two that are still up and I told my husband just the other day I wanted to use them for birdbaths. What did you use to seal them with? I hope mine turn out as good as yours did.
    Debby

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

That is beautiful. What a great idea!!!!

• rochelle_2006
    15 years ago

That is beautiful! I don't know how you come up with such great ideas. I did cart one home yesterday from the rent house. We shall see!!!
    R.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!

hugs, Karen

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

beautiful birdbath I thought I was normal wnating to turn the sat dish into a bb. DH wanted to use it for an oil drip catcher under the leak in his truck! NOT a chance Bub!

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I think that a great idea and you did fantastic artwork on it!!!!!

• cakedec
    15 years ago

WE are the normal people!! Yes, where in OK are you? I am an okie too. DS

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

That did turn out fantastic! Very pretty mosaic job! Now if I could only find a satellite dish (does Dish TV and the like know where all their old satellite dishes are going?) and a yard to put it in ...

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I've always wanted to make one,too:) It's on my list! Yours is just gorgeous!

• kweenofkings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello fellow Okies! I am in Henryetta.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Very nice Henryetta. Love the mosaic.
    kathy

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

What kind of grout do you use? I have some premixed left over from our new bathroom floor that I've been using to mosiac a "column" for my garden. It's made from two concrete blocks stuck together with mortar.

Also what a clever use for those bendy glass bits. I never thought they were pretty before but they look great on your bb.

• clueless1_2008
    15 years ago

I have 2 or 3 in the loft of my barn.I have been after DH to get them down for me.I don't do the barn loft because of snakes!EEEK.I hope mine turns out as pretty as yours!

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

That came out great! I love it! You're right, only a junker can truly understand!

• sherril_2008
    15 years ago

We made a very simple bird bath out of an old satelite dish.

We just spray painted it with some brown and green paint, kind of misted it in to look blotchy, sort of like tree bark or something.

We set it on the ground, then got flat moss rock and layered it around the dish, overlapped the inside a little. It sits among my flowers and the birds love it - especially the robins!

{{gwi:160320}}

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Sherril, that looks like a natural little pond with those rocks and the paint job you did. Its wonderful.

hugs, Karen

• daisydal
    15 years ago

hey kween!!! Sorry I missed you on Monday, you had just left!! Had to bookmark this page and clip your pic. I already have people lookin for me a dish, so I can copy ya!!!! It wont be as pretty as yours, but I will try! Maybe next time we can meet, rochelle gave great praises on your garden!! blessings-sherri

• davek913
    15 years ago

I joined the fray yesterday. We upgraded our service a couple weeks ago and received a new dish. I joked with the tech that I would make a birdbath out of it but took it a step further and made a feeder for the part the LNBs attach to. I've spent most of the last two months doing some renovations and was tuckered from all that work. Today after painting some molding I looked at that dish and said "What the heck." I needed to do something fun and offbeat and I have to say I laughed and shook my head when I was done with it.

Our granddaughter picked the colors from what I had on hand. When she saw I had some dark blue latex and gold spray paint it was all over. She's eight and a blossoming Notre Dame fan(We're near South Bend)and the colors resemble the blue and gold team colors.I'll probably eventually repaint it with a fake stone spray paint.

{{gwi:160321}}{{gwi:160322}}

• leveta
    15 years ago

I love the amazing stuff you all do...

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Dave, where have you been hiding??? That is great! Is the top box for the birdseed? Hope your GD doesn't get mad when you repaint it! You'll hafta repost when you get it situated and repainted so we can see it!!
    blessings-sherri

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus