Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free stuff from dump and mosaic wip

Posted by concretenprimroses 4B NH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 10:19

A friend of mine finds great stuff at her dump. The town has a lot of wealthy people who don't want to be bothered with old things, but fortunately the dump has a little house (literally a little house/cabin with windows and a door) for usable items for the taking!
She thought of me when she saw these dishes which I put on the little cement table I made last year while I decide what to do with them. She also got me about a dozen jello molds (no pics)to make concrete shapes in, a few of which were so nice that I passed them on to a friend who collects the copper colored ones.
Photobucket
Photobucket
And here is my current mosaic work in progress, sitting on a lazy susan for easy turning. I was using this clay pot upsidedown on my porch as a plant stand. I am using thinset to apply the glass, but I don't trust the cheap clay pot ($12 at Biglots) out for winter, so I will keep it as a plant stand on my porch.
My concept is a luna moth on a tree trunk, and on the back of the tree a little birch tree grows. I'm going to mosaic a saucer and attach it to the top, not sure how that will fit with the theme, maybe just cover it with leaves.
Photobucket
Filling in the brown is pretty tedious, especially since I'm using thinset. Trickier with little pieces than glue.
Photobucket
Thanks for looking.
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free stuff from dump and mosaic wip

Wow, crete! That 'dumpin' house' sounds like a GJers' dream! And I am lovin' your luna moth mosaic project! Lookin' beautiful! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Kathy...Your mosaic is beautiful. You are so talented. I love the things you got at the "dump" also. Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

o

Oooooh, I'm lusting after that little teapot!! Love it when the dump lets you take things. Very cool mosaic idea too.

o

Loving those dishes! How cute...they look ready for a tea party. And your mosaic piece is just beautiful!

o

Every dump should have a little house like that cause it's truely a shame how many good things are thrown away. Got you some really nice pieces. The mosaic is lookin good too.

o

I live in a (very) small city and our dump only has a bookshelf. I really think there should be a place to put usable items. You've got me thinking that I should try to do something about it!
Kathy

o

Love the WIP & the cute dishes especially the tulip saucer! The little blue cups are so cute too. Can you get a church or community group to build a "Second -time around house" to store things people can use. A group could make it a project to keep the shelves stocked. Girl Scout or Boy Scout project maybe! Good Luck! Jan

o

Great mosiac work. That tea post would make a great totem!!

o

Love your mosaic project. I bet it will be stunning when finished! I want to come shop at your friend's dump! Our city dump won't allow you to take things out. Although that doesn't stop my husband. He got an expensive cordless drill and some broken dishes/pottery for me for mosaicing. It's amazing what people throw away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here