Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post

Posted by cadillactaste zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 10:58

I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a pole to attach the hanging light off of. Or, cut the part of the faucet that bends and add a larger pipe over the existing faucet...allowing for a hanging light. Just want to hang a light near some stone steps to help light the way...not the entire yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light

Close up of post...

o

My light...

o

Good idea. Be sure to post a pic when you are done!
Kathy

o

Thanks Kathy...my husband wanted a light that "hung" I have always admired vintage ornate gate posts. Thought if I found one that the hinge was broken off...we could weld a bar to hang the light from bringing the wire through that space. This has a threaded faucet I now learned. Which if it unthreads it will make it much easier to do. If not...we also have a welder friend who will do what is needed to get that light post in.

o

I love the whole thing just like it is!!
Just add something at the top to make your 'hanger' for the light.

o

I like it as is too...can't figure out what one would do...to add to the top to make this a hanging light post...ideas anyone? Hate altering the faucet...but, if I have no other options...then it will have to be done.

Maybe having the light hang on the other side of the post opposite the faucet...? Curious if that that could be done.

o

I love this too. It seems a shame to cut it.

In my garden, I would put it on the edge of the pond with a plastic pipe running right up and out of it. - Its a well used idea but the look of the faucet would make it unique.

o

Just LOVE this old pump as is....it is a treasure! Would put it in my gardens in a heartbeat!!!

o

LOVE it. Will be a great addition in your yard no matter what you choose to do with it.

o

Thanks...I do love it as well. Our neighbor was easily able to remove the spigot. And take the guts of this pump out. It is in working order actually...that said...we are taking it to a plumbing contractor of ours...to go through his vintage knobs to see if we can find one that fits. And...see if he can extend the spigot length and then we'll run the wire through the spigot and have the wire come out the end and have the light hang from it. (Hope it doesn't look to weird...light coming from a water/oil fixture) Our neighbor feels it was an oil pump of some sort. (not sure his reasoning but feels the pattern if shown to someone knowledgable they could identify it.

o

Found an old auction manufacture brochure that lists my yard hydrant. It was for water use...

o

You can clearly see the same pattern design on this page of the brochure...matches my yard hydrant. Thought that pretty cool...it also shows the design of the knob that it once had. So my agenda is to locate a replacement knob. Amazing...after all this time. It seems to still have working parts.

o

We received a phone call...our post has been sandblasted and powder coated. We pick it up later today! So excited!!! Soon photos of it installed...I promise.

o

Here it is...all installed. I absolutely LOVE it!

o

Close up...of post.

o

That looks great

o

Thanks...would have loved to of kept the natural patina/rust. But...the base post and the extension on the faucet were new. So it had to be sand blasted and powder coated. I really am happy with how it turned out.

o

OMG! ! ! !
Absolutely beautiful!
Both the light post and the area you've placed it in.

I, too, love rust and natural patina,
I think though, in this instance, it would have been a disservice to leave it that way.

Rusty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here