Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dollydee_gw

Teapots, Totems, Plate Flowers Front Yard

dollydee
13 years ago

Finally got several items finished and outside. There are several photos that start with the house/porch/front yard and I'll do a seperate post for the back yard. DH and I have been seriously considering pulling out the huge boxwoods. They used to go all the way to the ground and were monsterous, I cut them back, but now I think they look like mushrooms...LOL I have to figure out what to put there when they come out. I hate to think of how big the roots are???????

and eventually I WILL find some round columns to replace the 3 that are square. The guy that we bought the house from didn't care what the outside looked like, he basically just slept here. The boxwoods were all the landscaping he had other than the hundred year old trees! Why he put square columns there when they were repaired I will never understand??? There used to be a side entrance to the house between the last 2 columns, the steps were cracked and crumbling as was the sidewalk, so we took a jackhammer to it and that helped the looks a lot. We painted the porch a couple of years ago, but I regret the color choice, it shows every bit of dirt and now I'm trying to find a new color that will make the porch "pop" :)

{{gwi:161484}}

{{gwi:161485}}

{{gwi:161486}}

{{gwi:161487}}

{{gwi:161488}}

{{gwi:161489}}

{{gwi:161490}}

{{gwi:161491}}

{{gwi:161493}}

{{gwi:161496}}

{{gwi:161499}}

{{gwi:161502}}

Comments (33)

• maximavswife
    13 years ago

Truly a lovely home. I love everything you have done. It looks like a labor of love. Thank you for sharing!

Kath

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Waht a lovely place you have. I Love it all. Your beds are sooooo immaculate!! All of your teapot totem, plate flowers and glass totems are placed just right and so eye appealing. Thanks for sharing your lovely home and garden. I'm envious

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

What a beautiful home you have. You and DH have done a lot of work. I love all of the personal garden art touches. I remember when you posted your totems and teapots. I thought they were beautiful then, but to see them in your lovely yard really adds character.
    -Sprout

• shysue
    13 years ago

It's all just beautiful. I love your home and your garden junk looks so good. You've done a lot and it shows.

• rafor
    13 years ago

Love all the blue!!! I particularly like the fabric you used on the cushions for the blue chairs. Everything looks very nice.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

I really love it all The house is so nice and such a great display. Everything is well done and coordinated. It works together beautifully.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Well hello Dolly! What a lovely home and yard. You make me miss my old Victorian. Your garden junk is just the right accent to set it all off. I love the blue.
    Frou

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

OMGosh Dolly! I saw the backyard post first, but your house is BEAUTIFUL! LOVE IT! And I absolutely love the blue wicker with it....and you have been a busy lady for sure with all of the plate flowers, totems, etc. LOVE the blue birdbath! And, I agree, the boxwoods are a little overgrown and look a little out of place with all of your new plantings. Just a great house!

• Rusty
    13 years ago

Love ALL of it!
    Love everything, plate flowers, totems, EVERYthing!

Love all the blue!
    It's my favorite color.

I am green with envy!

Thanks for sharing!

Rusty

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

WOW! You've certainly made your place GORGEOUS...I agree with the other GJers'...LOVE the blue & white! And your totems, garden cups, etc. have made the place so special! House is GORGEOUS...even the square column...doesn't bother me, any! That wrap-around porch...BEAUTIFUL, as is...but will probably even be more beautiful if you change colors as you mentioned. Can't forget the wood fence...your plates, plate flowers & teacup totems look WONDERFUL! TFS, dollydee! Fun to see your projects in your gardens! Jeanne S.

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

Wow...nice junk!! Love your plate flowers and mushrooms especially, but it's all great!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Gorgeous house and garden! Your "junk" is all so tastefully displayed. It doesn't detract from your house one bit. Which is saying something because it is all so stunning. That birdbath is the tops though! What did you make it out of?

• indylisa
    13 years ago

Is the bird bath from a mister? I use to have a couple...kicking self for getting rid of them..perfect for a bird bath. I love your house and porch!!! You have placed things so perfectly!!

Lisa

• dollydee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments, it's coming along pretty good. Sad thing is I've got 8 weeks until I have to start unpacking Christmas lights and checking them. We do a HUGE display, last year was over 70,000 lights, this year will probably exceed 100K. So I have to finish up all my GJ projects quickly, then I'll have to get everything cleared out of the yard to get ready for Christmas display!

Yes, Lisa, it is a mister. I found a complete one at a GS, the bowl was in a box. When I got it home, there were actually 2 bowls in the box. So I let my DD have the comeplete one for her room and I used the other for my birdbath. When she tires of it, I'll get it back and do one for my back yard as well...LOL

• diane_v_44
    13 years ago

Well,
    from up here in Canada,

I enjoyed seeing that fine home you have made for yourself and family
    Think, I would most of all like to join you on that porch, with a nice pot of tea, or even a Mint Julip.
    Seems with so much gardening work we all take upon ourselves, there is little time for sitting.
    But, the idea is very pleasing to me

Keep up the good work
    Thanks for the photos

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Your house will look fantastic with all the lights and holiday decor.

Hope you can post pictures for us then too.

• bverste
    13 years ago

I think thi site is misnamed, I saw no Garden Junk in your yard, I saw art. Lovely and restful and inspiring! thanks for sharing

• pondgal
    13 years ago

What a beautiful home. I see you have been very busy. My favorite color is blue. I LOVE!! LOVE!!!!!! that blue birdbath.

• Kathryn Botard
    13 years ago

please adopt me, I love your home. I'll even clean your windows. ;-)

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

OHHH It just ooozes Southern Charm, what a beautiful breathtaking home; being from the desert of Southern Calif I truly appreciate the beauty of the South. My daughter lives in South Carolina so I have enjoyed visiting the South and the green green green everywhere!
    GREAT LABOR OF LOVE

Sylvia/Nanagrandma

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

The whole thing is just absolutely stunning!! I love the glass mushrooms, I must try those & everything blue is just so well done! Thank you for sharing with us!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

DREAM HOUSE!!
    I love it. I love the porch. I love the yard.
    I want to live there, LOL.

{{gwi:77274}}

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Your home looks so welcoming!! Yard is great. You do a great job.TFS

• greensuzq
    13 years ago

I did mention this in my post earlier to copy and paste, but once I looked at these pics again I just decided to post and move it on up to the top. Just so gorgeous and had to share again. Thanks for the inspiration.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

What a lovely wonderful home. Your blue wicker on the porch is just perfect. I love the garden art. Are the teapots set on candlesticks? I love the simplicity and the whimsy. Marvelous.
    Kathy

• dollydee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all...sorry I haven't been around much. Been getting kids back in school and college. The 14 yr old is cheering and playing soccer, so I am on the go constantly.

Thanks again for all the sweet comments! Yes, Kathy the teapots are on candlesticks that had holes in the bottom and I found the right sized dowel to fit the holes.

• threekittens_ia
    13 years ago

Having fun going thru some of these older posts. Nice to find some where the totems, plate flowers, etc. are actually out in gardens. I really like these.

• dollydee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you threekittens, they were a lot of fun to make and I'm ready to do some more...been stocking up over the winter, got to get busy soon!

• dandelion_2009
    13 years ago

Love you Victorian Home! I didn't realize I was a member until I tried to register:) I've looked at so many of your creations, you are so inspiring!! I have a few questions I hope you don't mind :)
    Your bird bath is made of what?
    How did you make you flower plate? I saw what you did with a spoon but I must have missed what you used for the center of the plastic plate, was it another plate?
    I love all your totems, neat how you turn a flower vase up side down and put your tea cups on them :)
    I went to the thrif store looking at things in a whole new way. Thank You for posting your creations and your lovely home, Did I miss the backyard pictures?
    Jackie

• dollydee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jackie,

The link for the back yard photos is below, if you scroll to the last posting there is a link in that post for the plate flower info. It's a large glass plate, smaller plate, and then smaller center of some sort, usually a votive holder or trinket box top.

The birdbath was made using a mister for the bowl, then I stacked 2 large vases and trimmed with glass stones.

Hugs,
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Back Yard

• jwahlton
    12 years ago

OMG. You have the house I've always dreamed of

• jlily
    12 years ago

I was going to say how beautiful everything looks-BUT it has all been said already-so I'll just say I enjoyed looking and thanks or sharing!! Jlily

• maggie4737
    12 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz