Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldcrafty

Flamingo Sparkler

oldcrafty
13 years ago

Completed my first attempt at a sparkler. Figured out a few changes I'd like to make on my next try....but all and all this was a good first one. At least it is useable.

{{gwi:161642}}

Comments (17)

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

At first look it made me LOL !!!! VERY CUTE !

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

That is so cute!! Are they cake decorations?? I went back to get candle holder at TS but it was gone so guess others like the birds too!Jan

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually everything on that sparkler was one necklace. It looks to me like it needs more beads but thats all that was on the necklace. I purchased it last year at a party supply store in the discount basket and had no clue why I bought it. Knew why when I wanted to make my 1st spakler! Been to all the resale shops around here looking for "Big and Gaudy" necklaces for beads and haven't found any....but I'm still looking.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Great Sparkler, love the flamingos, and thanks for the jewelery idea!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That is so cute, I love it, it's my two favorite colors and I adore mingos. After you said it was made from a necklace, it hit me, I have that same necklace hanging on a giant flamingo at my house. I like how you painted the pipe part, it really ties it all together. Thanks for the pix.
    Frou

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Great sparkler Crafty! Love the flamingos! Did you use pvc pipe for the base and did you just drill small holes in the cap?

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep.....1/2 inch PVC used smallest drill bit I could find I filled the PVC cap with GEII before putting on top of pipe. I tried to secure all those loose flying all over the place pieces of wire with no success...that's when I came up with the idea of using PVC and drilling holes. After seeing the sparkler made using the cork to hold the wires in place I think that was a good idea also, next time I will try glueing a cork inside the PVC cap and then poking in the wires. My thoughts are that the PVC will protect the cork from weather rot......that is if corks rots exposed to the weather!

• Crafty Gardener
    13 years ago

great idea, adding this to my to do list

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

You have made so many nice things, but I think this is my favorite. I LOVE it!! What would you change next time? It looks pretty darn good to me. Makes me feel good just looking at it (lol).
    -Sprout

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

Love it!! I've been wanting to make one (or two or three...)of these, but wasn't sure how I was going to organize all the wires - I like your idea of the painted PVC/drilled cap. TFS!

Sheryll

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

LOL ...those poor little mingos! My first thought was "bait on a fishing line!" sorry! Like, "help, get me off of here!" CUTE!!! (now wouldn't little earthworms be cute, too!) I see you bent the wire instead of crimp beads & drilled PVC pipe...you came up with some good ideas here for GJers! TFS! Jeanne S.

• bverste
    13 years ago

too cute, I need to start looking in clearance baskets LOL

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

Crafty, what gauge wire do you have there? For a big sparkler, I think using a coat hanger would be good, providing I can find beads to fit on it!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

That is adorable! I was wondering how flamingos were going to be a part of a sparkler when I saw the subject line of your post and never imagined flamingo beads! Very original and cute sparkler. I like your idea of the pvc pipe with the cap with holes drilled into it. Some fancy sparklers I have seen in stores had the wire going into a copper pipe which was hammered flat at the top where the wires were inserted. Yours looks so much neater!

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the nice compliments.
    Grandma Cindy, I purchased 16 gauge wire at the local hardware store. The label just called it Multi-purpose wire.........Sure was lots on the spool, guess I'll be making lots of sparklers. Just this morning I found some very small salt and pepper shakers, light weight and adorable and for some reason it was a set of 4 I figure that's just enough for a sparkler that is as soon as I find some more beads!

• beachplant
    9 years ago

found this old post bookmarked. We were just talking about flamingos.

Tally HO!

• granny2anb
    9 years ago

That is so cute. I love the idea of jewelry from the party supply stores. What garden can't use some sparkle? I know mine can. :)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!