Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
excessfroufrou

Flea Market Finds

excessfroufrou
13 years ago

It hasn't been too long since I found these goodies while out junking. I remember seeing lots of these cats when I was growing up in the sixties, so I was very happy to find these for $10.00 under a pile of dust at a junk store that is only open twice a year at the lake. I didn't have a tree where they would work, so they became fence cats. Also I found the concrete doves at a junk store and just had to have them, I think they are really old. DH wanted to know if I was going to paint them, but I kinda like the shabby chic look of them. I already had the concrete pot and bird bath top (which is about to crumble) from my DM.

Frou

{{gwi:162447}}

{{gwi:162448}}

Comments (14)

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Looks like you found the perfect spots to dispaly your finds. I agree the shabby chic look is what it's all about. Love the mirror too. How on earth do you keep it sooooo spot free and clear?
    Linda

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

And I see that lovely bottle tree reflected in the mirror!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Frou...those cats are perfect on your fence! Look very mischevious! I don't remember those cats from the 60's but I love 'em!

And glad you got the doves, too...looks great on the old stuff of your DM's. Nice scores, frou! TFS! Jeanne S.

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

You found TREASURES !!! Everything looks wonderful :)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Great finds! I remember those kitties too and I love the doves...just as they are!

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I have a cat like that. He is old and has had an accident or two. I just glue him together and keep loving him.

At this time he is positioned on the fence so that he appears to be looking into an adjoining hanging bird house.

Someday I am going to purchase a camera and learn how to post pictures.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Those are great finds and such a nice way to display them.

soxxxx, that sounds like a great picture. Would love to see that.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I remember those kitties. There were quite a few of them in my home town growing up.
    Love your doves too.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

frou...I don't have any cats...but my friend does & I've posted this pic before...I love it...this is her "cat" in the window garden box that DH & I made my friend a couple yrs. ago for her b'day. Just lovin' these cats in the gardens...& your fence gardens! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:162449}}

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

The cats are great on the fence, love your mirror too, must be work keeping it clean tho. The doves look good on the crumbling birdbath but if birdbath gives way you can simply flip that great pot under it over & set them on it!! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I remember those cats and there were squirrels too. I usually saw them hanging on people's houses. Love your doves on the old birdbath and urn. I agree, they look great as-is. Great finds!

• excessfroufrou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys. Soxxx, DH was hesitant about me hanging the kitties outside, but since they were only $10.00, I'll just glue them if they take a tumble. I have one in my kitchen which is the "Camark" pottery that I collect, it wasn't cheap like these ceramic ones. Soxxx, did I read that you live in Kilgore, my very favorite cousins live there and we used to visit often. Jeanne, that was sweet of ya'll to make your friend her very own cat house, it's lovely. Sunnyca, I've had those mirrors for a couple of years and have never had to clean them, guess the rain and sprinkler keeps them shined. That's a great idea about flipping the urn for a dove base. Kathy, I'm gonna keep my eye out for one of the squirrels, I remember them too.
    Frou

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

I love your new finds! I also love all the wonderful GJ reflected in the mirror :o) I love the cat house and birdhouse on the stand also lol

A little trick to keeping mirrors & glass stain & water droplet free, coat it in a slight coating of WD-40. Also works to keep ice off your windsheild in the winter and also keeps car doors from freezing shut.

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Everything is beautiful- I particularly like the creative stand that the doves are sitting on. Your yard is beautiful.

Soxxxx your post is so sweet, "...I just glue him together and keep loving him".

-Sprout