Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

Tea Cup Birdfeeders-spindles

kudzukween
16 years ago

It's been raining,I've been cooped up baking and cooking and eating!! So I decided to make some things. You come to my home,and you get parting gifts,lol! I copied the little teacup birdfeeder poem,and cut some tulle and filled it with birdseed,tied up with ribbon and slipped the poem on the ribbon,and set it in the tea cup. So far I've made five of them,and surely will make more to give away. Looks like I had every cup turned away,but they all have flowers on the sides,matches the paint on the spindles.

{{gwi:130042}}

Comments (24)

• shysue
    16 years ago

Those are so pretty! Love the colors too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shysue's Album

• wired
    16 years ago

Love your teacups and the colors you painted the spindles!
    How are they attached to the cup and what is the poem?
    My brother who has been very ill since December due to Kidney failure is finally out of the hospital for the seventh time and is really enjoying sitting outside. That's about all he can do for now. Anyway he has lots of feathered friends and was just saying the other day how he wanted some more feeders. He has some store bought ones, but I thought something like this would be more personal. I would really appreciate any tips you might share. If not, that's okay, too.
    Thanks for sharing your picture. They're adorable.

• djscrapbooks
    16 years ago

Those are adorable! And, I'm so glad the poem is being used :)I think I need to put the teacup my Mom made on something wooden. The cup melted off the copper tube/pipe during a week of over 90 degree temps here! Thankfully my cup and saucer are still in one piece :)

And, I like the birdseed in the tulle, Mom gave us ours in a plastic bag! Have to keep that idea for any I make as gifts! Thanks for sharing!

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Those are great! So, when is the party? And I'll take a green one please!

• luvs2click
    16 years ago

Can I come visit? They are adorable!

Arlene

• djscrapbooks
    16 years ago

Well, wired, if it was the poem I shared a few weeks ago, this was it. Not sure if my Mom wrote it or found it somewhere. But this was attached to a tea cup birdfeeder my Mom gave as Christmas gifts a few years back.

Your feathered friends could use a rest
    A dainty teacup would be the best
    A cup of water; a plate of seed
    A tiny perch is all they need.
    A pretty spot with lots of flowers
    You'll be entertained for hours!

Also, the clear Liquid Nails, construction grade, says indoor, outdoor, works to hold the tea cup to the saucer and would also work for attaching that to wood. My cup slipped off the copper pipe, and the Liquid Nails didn't say anything about adhering to metal, so that's probably why :)

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

I want to visit too. What delightful birdfeeders and special gifts for friends. Love the idea and how you did each one.
    add to my list, add to my list, add to my list.....
    sigh.

Karen

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Wow maybe I could get busy and make some for daughters baby shower! They are adorable and would be great party favors!
    Poem is cute too!

• meadel
    16 years ago

I LOVE them, I'll be right over!

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

NICE JOB - LOVE IT!!!!!!

Thanks for the info as I didn't want to drill my cups and plates... I could but just didn't want to do it...

• tasymo
    16 years ago

Kudzukween- did you use GE Silicone II to glue the saucers to the posts? Those are so cute!

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ya'll. Tasy,yes I used Silicone to glue them. It works great, I made some last year and they're still holding up through heat and cold and rain,even holding up to the squirrels. The short ones I used my huge stash of old spindles that I bought before the hurricane,already painted white. The taller ones came from a salvage place,new spindles for about a dollar each. When I want the crackle look, I "paint" them with cheap white school glue,then paint right over that with whatever color I want it to be. The glue doesn't have to be dry to paint the color on. Then I spray a cheap clear sealer on them. Golden,I think they'd make great shower gifts,affordable,too. Wired, I hope your brother feels better,and enjoys a birdfeeder. Some people put the birdseed in the saucer,and water in the cup,and some add an old spoon to the saucer as a perch for the birds,glue it on with silicone,too.

• wired
    16 years ago

Thank you for the well wishes for my brother. His road to recovery is very long for sure! I hope to get one of the feeders constructed over the weekend. First got to find all the recipe ingredients :-) I like the idea of a little spoon for the feathered friends to rest on, and I know he will get a kick out of that addition. You see, he kids me all the time because I chop up old silverware for earrings and pendants, and every time I wear my 'eating utensils' he just shakes his head and says they are pretty neat to be made from silverware. I once told him, since 'I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I wore'em in my ears and around my neck'.

I appreciate the little poem, too. Thank you!

We have a Habitat Store here in town and they always have spindles...hope they have some today :-)

Thanks so much for the tips and instructions!

• maders
    16 years ago

sorry- but white glue gives you a crackle look? I've never tried that!! yippee! I'm tryign some today!
    h

• quidam
    16 years ago

Southern hospitality.....a thing of wonder! Please let it spread!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I love them on all the pastel posts. Very pretty.

Can I ask how you clean them out? I did a couple on pvc pipe with the little fitting piece glued to the saucer--they don't look as cute, but are easy to slip off the pipe to clean out. And mine do get pretty yucky inside from being in the sprinklers all the time.

I think it would be fun to make some as gifts for a small group of friends I meet with every couple of months. Love the poem and the birdseed in the tulle.

Luvs

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ya'll! I made three more yesterday,and gave one away. I have mine stuck in the ground,when they get grody I just pull it out of the ground,and hose it out,and dry it with a rag,and refill it. The hole in the ground is square,it fits right back in no problem. The birds are always at them. It's funny to see the birds hit the brakes when they fly up and another bird is already there! I keep a pair of binoculars on the front porch so we can watch.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Wired, I am saying prayers for your brother.
    You can also make bird feeders from lampbases
    and a pie pan. I have been making those for
    years and years, before this forum existed.
    Leave the bottom in the lamp, and the center
    rod. Drill the pie pan to fit (also drill a
    couple of small holes to let water escape) Use the
    nut that came with the lamp to hold the pie pan on.The
    center is hollow, and you can find a rod at a hardware store that will go all
    the way through, and stick into the ground to hold it
    in place.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I also meant to say "see my website-page 5"
    There are 2 birdfeeders, lefthand top, and
    another in the center photo.

http://members.cox.net/nonacook

• meadel
    16 years ago

I was just washing dishes when an idea popped into my head.

These can also be made with Christmas mugs. The steaks can be painted red and white like a candy cane and filled with seed/granola as "reindeer feed"
    Maybe someone can write a poem for that one. (you really don't want MY poems)

Lori

• wired
    16 years ago

Nonacook, Thank You for also sending prayers for my brother and prayers back to you as I remember you recently lost your DH.

I Love your gardens and saw the bird feeder on the lamp base. What a cute idea and I just happen to have the ingredients for the recipe :-)Your cabin and garden looked like many good times were enjoyed there. Sorry it no longer exists :-(

I looked at your Elephants. I collect'em too and have one like your gray one you have sitting by the amber pole arrangement. I got mine many years ago at a FM in Texas. He has moved with me everywhere and is looking old for sure, but he still sits in front of my house all weathered but still has that sweet look on his face.

• meadel
    16 years ago

Ok, Maybe I am getting carried away, but the spindles/steaks can also be a advent calendar or a snow gauge too....

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Many good wishes for your brother Wired, hope he is feeling better and that the teacup feeders bring him joy and smiles.

Kudz, your teacup feeders are adorable. I'll be right over...whatcha baking today... know my favorite is apple pie! LOL

• snolady
    16 years ago

Here's a web site for print out tags. Please leave the author copyright symbol and name on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea cup bird feeder tags