Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greylady_gardener

Newbie question :-)

greylady_gardener
11 years ago

I have been lurking occassionally for a few years. I am normally on other forums--WS and Canadian garden exchange, cottage gardens, etc.

I really love reading and seeing all of your amazing creations, but I haven't felt ready to jump in until now. Of course what I want to make is something that most of you have moved on from, but I want to try to make them anyway. I have a question or two about 'garden totems' and know that there are lots of experts on here.

question number one: I have some clear glass vases and wondered would there be any reason for not filling them with decorative items. (shells, fake fruit, pretty stones, etc.)

Q #2: How do you transport them--I want to make one for a gift and wondered about how to get it there--not going to 'wrap' it, just taking it 'as is'. I just think it seems like they might not travel well--laying them down seems awkward.

Q #3: I haven't yet looked for the type of caulking that is mentioned as being the best for making them, but if I can't find it here, then has anyone had success using another type of outdoor caulking?

Spent the morning going to yard sales and have some great pieces that I am anxious to get put together.

thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• sorie6 zone 6b
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum!!
    I've made 100+ totems and I've always used GEII silicone for doors and windows. I've also put things in the vases but just a couple things and glued them in. I found some really neat looking glass hard candies that looked wrapped! that was fun!! Use your imagination and have fun with it.
    Good luck please post pics when you get them made.
    I'm sure several folks will chime in to help you.
    There are lots of totems made here!!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum!!
    I've made 100+ totems and I've always used GEII silicone for doors and windows. I've also put things in the vases but just a couple things and glued them in. I found some really neat looking glass hard candies that looked wrapped! that was fun!! Use your imagination and have fun with it.
    Good luck please post pics when you get them made.
    I'm sure several folks will chime in to help you.
    There are lots of totems made here!!

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Yes, welcome to the forum! I also make and love totems and even though I haven't filled a vase with anything, I have put some things inside and glued them like Sorie. But, I would think it would be fine to do provided that you seal them in well with the next piece of glass to keep dirt and water out. Also, I would be careful using fake fruit if it plastic as it will most likely melt in the heat since it will be enclosed in a "glass oven." I use the GEII as well, but some folks use the E-6000 (I think that's right) and have good luck with that as well. Just make sure you put something at the bottom big enough to support the totem...like a large plate,etc. Helps them not to turn over so easily. As for transporting, I just prop them up in the back of my van and put something in front to keep it from turning over....like the tote in the back of my van full of "stuff."

Be sure and post pictures...we love those!! Just arrange the pieces to where they are most pleasing to your eye and I'm sure you'll do fine!

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you both! :-) I am looking forward to getting out and finding the right caulking to make the totems and will definitely post pics when I have some made.

I didn't think about plastic items melting! I am not sure what the cherries I have are made of, but won't risk it anyway. A really nice mid sized clear glass vase I got today for 50 cents had some very realistic looking cherries in it and I just thought that they would look good if I left them in there.....maybe it is best if I don't! :)

I did see pics of some totems that seemed to have up side down bud vases on the bottom and wondered if they were made like that so that the vase could be pushed into the ground to anchor it, and would it really do a good job of securing it.

• laurastheme
    11 years ago

Welcome!! This is a good group for help. I've made a lot of totems using GE silicone for windows and doors. I encased an item in a couple of them and found that they sweat inside so I didn't try any more. I don't know if that's a common problem or if I did something wrong.

The totems with the upside down bud vases fit over a pipe which is pushed into the ground.

I'm anxious to see what you come up with. We like photos.
    Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• toomuchglass
    11 years ago

. Hello !!! Your an official totem addict now !
    Welcome to the club :) You'll be happy you posted here-- the knowlege is priceless !

• nonacook
    11 years ago

Welcome to the 'garden junk addicts' forum-LOL
    You will become an 'artist' like the rest of us!
    I use re-bar to stake some of my upside down bud
    vases and for others I use conduit. For the teacup
    bird feeders, I use whatever will fit in the vase.
    I took several vases in a bag, with me to Lowe's
    to see what would fit in them. They looked at me
    like I was crazy-until I showed them a picture of
    what I was doing-grin.

• cnm1
    11 years ago

Nonacook - I do stuff like that at Home depot. I get some really strange looks :)

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia