Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
totem help

Posted by bverste zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 14:47

I bought some things for a totem at at a 1/2 off sale at TS. the pitcher I bought is not level at the rim--it angles a little at the spout end, any ideas of what I can do to keep the totem level, I don't want to put it at the top as it would collect water and I am afraid if I put a plate on the top, it will not be even. any ideas? I wondered about trying to find something to put at handle end to try to even things up, but then there would only be two contact or glue points.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: totem help

Since I've never made any totems out of teapots, I don't know if there is a trick to it or not, but some of our other GJers should know....

o

• Posted by sorie6 Zone4 Colo (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 22:25

I make bird baths and sometimes the glass ware isn't flat I either put a piece of folded paper under the edge or use some dried silicone under it. Or I just put some dirt or rocks under the base. I used flat plates or old microwave plates for the base.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

o

Could you post pics so we can get an idea?
Is it something you could cut off with a glass cutter & still have the same effect?
You could put a patch in it of GE II and glass beads, then use beads elsewhere to blend it.
If it's big enough you could get a salt bowl & stick in it.
If you have other broken ceramics you could put in a ceramic patch.
If you're using plants, you could possibly put a plant in it, though that could get to be harried come winter.

o

I have ground down the high side and I have also built up the low side. For building I usually use marine epoxy (the green and white tube epoxy that you knead together until it turns white). I build up the low side as much as necessary, then graduate the epoxy until it's even with the high side. Does that make sense? That makes the rim even without any gaps. The epoxy dries very hard. I paint it if it will show when the item is finished.

o

all good ideas, thanks, I plan on working on the totem if it every stops storming, and I will post pictures. the friend I am making it for chose the small pitcher, so I have to put it in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here