Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Meet Charlotte the spider

Marlene Kindred
13 years ago

My DH has been on vacation for the past few days, and we've stuck around the house, so he's been creating for me. I come up with the ideas and he makes them happen! Gotta love him! Meet Charlotte...our latest addition to our critter population. She's made from old plow pieces, hay rake tines and window shutter holds. I think she looks friendly enough, don't you? She's about three feet across.

{{gwi:164081}}

Comments (26)

• coppertop367
    13 years ago

WOW!!! that is really cute!!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

She reminds me of the black and yellow spider that I wish lived in my garden. There was always one in our yard when I was growing up, but I have even transplanted them here and they disappear. I really like yours.....

• skej
    13 years ago

love her!!! she is beautiful!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

That is a very pretty girl. And huge. LOL.
    I just can't get over the things you and your DH create together. What a team you two are! I love everything you show us.

hugs, Karen

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

I WANT ONE !!!! It's awesome . I HATE "real" Spiders - but artistic spiders thrill me !

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

She is a beauty for sure!
    Kathy

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

COOL!!!!!

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Looks fearsome! Great job that your hubby did creating this critter. He's very talented!

I too remember the big black & yellow garden spiders. The last one I saw was several years ago. They are definitely not so plentiful as they used to be.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Well, that's certainly NOT the "Itsy Bitsy Spider!" YIKES! I'd be running in the other direction! Yes, you & DH make a great team!...You are both like THE VERY BUSY SPIDER book! TFS! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Absolutely AWESOME spider and this coming from someone who considers herself to be arachnophobic! Despite my fear of spiders, I would have no problem welcoming this one into the garden. Your DH does an awesome job putting your wonderful ideas together!

• indylisa
    13 years ago

Neat idea...not a spider fan...but I like that one!!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

You are really lucky to have such a talented DH. That spider is the "be all, end all" of spiders. He has a cool paint job, and it's been years since I had a garden spider like that in my yard too. It's very cool, but it would most likely still give me a scare in the garden.
    Frou

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of the nice comments! We do have these type of garden spiders and I am always fascinated to watch them spin their enormous webs. Not sure where Charlotte will end up, but for now she's just sitting under a tree in our yard where no grass will grow!

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

Oh how cool! My step-sis loves spiders like that for her yard!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Very Nice, and maybe you'll concider making her a spider web out of rope?heh heh!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Great idea, calamity...maybe, Marlene, you recycle an old "hammock" from a GS, TS or something! Tee Hee! Lookin' for GJ art for ya! (& work!) Jeanne S.

• soonergirl1968
    13 years ago

I love her!!! So fun!!

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What I'm hoping to spy and snag is an old headboard like I have my other spider on......one can hope!

{{gwi:164084}}

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Goodness Marlene, I was just going to reply and tell you how beautiful Charlotte is and now you come up with this other one, I really love her too! She is just precious! Is that an old bike seat or what? Looks great on that headboard (and I love those cheery little flowers)!

I used to be afraid of spiders when I was young, but they don't bother me anymore, in fact I find them quite interesting. It was a combination of reading Charlottes Web and living in FL. There are so many spiders here I would be terrified all the time if they scared me. I have those yellow and black ones in the yard, too. They make kind of a scribbley web.

You and your DH make some great things out of junk. Everything is done so well. Really top shelf.

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, g2g, the "other" spider's body is made out of a pump strainer from a well and the legs are just rebar. Thanks!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Ohhhh, Marlene...that is just the most beautiful "web" I've ever seen for your cute spider! I'm sure something will show up for you! TFS! Jeanne S.

• kacram
    13 years ago

NICE!!!!!!!!!!

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!! These are the kinds of spiders even I could love!! Thanks for sharing.
    Sprout-

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

INCREDIBLE!!! Can't keep my mouth closed since it dropped seeing your spiders! Absolutely talented pair!

Nanagrandma

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

Wow. I love these! Did you weld the rebar, or just glue it?

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Both spiders are welded together...I don't think glue will hold rebar.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner