Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rusty Wheelbarrow

Posted by luvs2click 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 15:00

My kids rescued this rusty wheelbarrow for me (they know me well) and this is my first experience planting wave petunias. Happy with how it's filling out. It's nice to just wheel it up to the faucet to water it also!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rusty Wheelbarrow

A 'functional' wheelbarrow...that's even better yet! Those look like the Wave Petunias I grow in my Tipsy Buckets...aren't they gorgeous! Love it! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

That's gorgeous! How many plants did you put in there?

o

How Pretty! Your petunias are doing wonderful and what a great way to save an old wheelbarrow.

o

That is really nice. I like that you can wheel it to your faucet for watering.

Marylee

o

Beautiful! And I love your walk & the garden around it!! Very nice setting, the pink flowers set the area off nicely! Jan

o

• Posted by sorie6 Zone4 Colo (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 21:17

Very pretty and good way to recycle! I agree your garden is very nice!!

o

Thanks for the comments. You should have seen me trying to poke holes in the bottom of the wheelbarrow for drainage - that bugger is tough - really a shame that I did because it was a nice strong bottom. I just used a hammer and a nail and I had to beat it forever, about broke my eardrums. The wheel is a little past it's prime and the WB isn't very deep or I might have just used it in the garden. I do have another deep one that I use.
Nancelee - I believe it was 16 wave petunias I put in there.

o

LOL---You are driving nail holes, and I am trying to keep mine from leaking too much. Here where we have been having a drought (until the last few weeks) I could not keep enough water in mine....
I lined it with heavy duty plastic, and just poked a couple of tiny holes in that. Finally--didn't have to water every day!
The wave petunias make a wonderful display.

o

Beautiful! It looks like my dad's wheelbarrow which he bought in the 50s or 60s and is still going strong at my mom's.
I'll have to keep an eye on it to see when it starts rusting out.
Kathy

o

Nonacook - I have heard of lining pots with disposable diapers to hold moisture - actually have done that before in my bicycle baskets. I suppose that would work in wheelbarrows too, maybe even adult sized diapers!

o

Luvs, I have heard that too, but never did try it. I
think I still have one package left over from when Bill
was sick. May have to try it....
I did buy some of the 'gel' that you can put in pots and used it some, but I try not to have too many containers
anymore. Not like I did when I had over 300 varieties of houseplants in the late 1970s.

o

That is one beautiful wheel barrow. I LOVE the Wave Petunias and your walk area. Jlily

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here