Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

jean planter ?

sorie6 zone 6b
15 years ago

Has anyone sold these? I've made some and would like to sell them but not sure. Would you leave the plastic bags in them(used to shape them)They are urethaned inside. Would you put a pot in them to sell or let buyer put own pot in it? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (15)

• User
    15 years ago

I would leave the plastic bags in them to display them for sale. I would have one with a pot in it for display but let the buyers put their own pots in the ones they purchase. How much are you selling them for? They are certainly cute.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I agree with grannytoo. Possibly have a potted plant to show how GREAT it will look with a plant in it. I think they are adorable. Do you mind giving directions on making them?

Kathy

• leveta
    15 years ago

That is sooo cute. How'd you do that? Are they real jeans?

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

I have seen these planters before and always wondered how in the heck they made them. They were always made from real children's clothing. I think they are just wonderful! Thank you so much for the instructions.

I agree with the other ladies that you should show some of them with a potted plant in them. Some people have a hard time visualizing how something will look when completed. You might even be able to sell the pot and plant too! Keep posting pics of your work. I love this kind of stuff!

• leveta
    15 years ago

sorie how much glue did you use / what size bottles? Does elmers come in big containers? They sure are cuties....

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Very Cute.... Just A D O R A B L E ! ! ! !
    I sure like the Idea !!!
    Thanks for sharing the pics & The Instructions !!!
    I think you could sell them... they are precious...
    You could also use them as some storage
    for child 's room..... storage... or organizational stuff
    or for dirty socks... whatever....

maybe.....
    I think they are cute for inside...
    or even on the patio ! ! !
    God Bless !
    SusieSunshine
    I like them;;;;

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Leveta I used Stiffy glue the first time and didn't dilute it. then I used Elmer's and use 2 cups to 1 cup water. It took that much to make one pair of jeans. There was a little left over but not much. Yes Elmer's comes in gallons at Home Depot here in the Denver area.
    Thanks

• junkinthetrunk
    15 years ago

Found this pic with plants in it..{{gwi:140978}}....

• leveta
    15 years ago

thanks for the info...

• texasfern
    15 years ago

That is adorable!
    If you get pots really, really cheap it is good to have them onhand with a little higher price.
    Definately display with a plant a selling point is that you can place a plant you already have on hand in it and save a few bucks!
    Great job.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Mind is a buzzin. These are adorable. Suggested selling price? What would be a fair price?

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to start at $30. Don't know for sure. There's a lady on HGTV that makes them and sells them for $50. But she does a lot more steps than I do and puts a copper glaze on them to make them look antique.
    I will display a plant in them. May also put some baby things and suggest it be used for a baby shower? what do you think?
    I'm also going to try using liquid starch. It's a little cheaper and will serve the purpose of making it stiff until you can urethane it.

• butterflylion
    11 years ago

Sorie6, do you have a link to the ones on HGTV that have a copper glaze?

Is the urethane water based, or oil based?

• jpandmary
    9 years ago

I just saw what the jean planter that everyone is talking about on here, years ago. I looked for the ones on HGTV, :( no longer there. I have not seen the ones with copper glaze & was wondering what that would look like. The lady I spoke to about making them told me she uses Stiffy Bow glue & after it dries puts 2 coats of clear Polyurethane so they are nice & stiff. Guess I will try it out & repost at a later date.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH