Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Pieces of bling - can't believe I paid full price.

concretenprimroses
13 years ago

I have a friend whose mother makes and sells jewelry in Florida where she lives. My friend lives in NYC, and her family and her parents were up visiting nearby. Sooo her mom loves to go to a nearby bead and rock store because its an amazing place and the prices are so good compared to other places. (Tho prices have increased this year.)

I try to avoid the place because I'm not good at making jewelry but I get sucked in by all the beauty! And they took me to lunch then wanted to go there.

So I'm thinking totem and plate flower bling!

So they both spent $100 each, and I spent $16, which still feels like a lot. The blue glass circles ($5.50/strand)are a little over an inch in diameter. The red faceted beads ($0.55 ea)are real red glass! The red flowers ($1.50 each)are some sort of composite, but they will be great in the middle of a plate flower don't you think? The small black beads are hematite, 4 strands for $1 each, ($4). I may use those in mosaic.

{{gwi:165746}}

The red glass is not defective, its just the camera..

{{gwi:165747}}

They also had composite roses, but I liked these best...

{{gwi:130576}}

So I'm ready! Now I've gotta make something to decorate!

Kathy

Comments (10)

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

Believe it or not - red glass actually has real gold in it - that's why it's so expensive. Maybe the camera picked up the gold !

I love those beads . Of course - I love every bead I see - they're all so pretty . I could go broke buying them - I have to use all my will power not to . You have a great assortment there - get creating !! LOL

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Very pretty finds!! When you're used to finding stuff for cheap & even free, $16 seems like a lot to spend on something so small, doesn't it? I love everything I see here & think it's all worth every penny!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Very pretty beads! I know what you mean....I'd go nuts in a place like that. That's why my DD says I must have been a magpie in a previous life! LOL Sometimes, we just have to have them though, so make something really pretty and enjoy them for years to come!

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

Nice beads!! Can't believe you didn't buy more, lol!. Much as I hate paying full price for anything, beads are my weakness and I have accumulated quite the stash. Very strange, considering I don't make jewelery, or even wear much of it - but I was pretty excited by the garden sparkler post, let me tell you!

Sheryll

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Beautiful finds, crete! Way to spend something on yourself! Good buys! Mosaic'ing hematite ones sounds pretty great! Love 'em all! TFS! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Adds up fast!!But you got some really nice beads for your money so it was money well spent. I think the flower beads will be lovely in glass plates. If anyone likes a flower looking bead for center of flowers look for buttons or at TS check out strange little short jackets with 1 button or sweaters sometimes have flower buttons, more likely on the fancy jackets, velvets, brocades etc. so might be cheap this time of year & take buttons off & use them, works best if TS is having a sale.Old coats had flower buttons also as I got a large tin of buttons at a yard sale & it had several in it.If they are beige, white or some other dull color just paint over it with Patio paints! Would be pretty. I love the red beads & flat blue will be lovely on totem or something else. I drug in a palm tree thing I had to have LOL & after looking at it for months still can't decide what color it should be. 2 ft high x 2 ft wide metal painted a weird black green. Think it could use some of your jewels for some bling! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Lots of pretty pretties! I have a weakness for beads and used to make jewelry until I started going broke! lol! I was buying so much and just making things for myself that I would have been better off going to a store and buying ready made necklaces, earrings and bracelets.

I love the red flower beads. They do remind me of old buttons. The red glass is gorgeous too. I bet the camera did pick up the gold in them! The blue circle beads are gorgeous too. I'd love to see what you do with the hematite. Keep us posted on what you do with your lovely beads!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Don't feel too bad, somethings are just hard to find at a discount. Beads being one of them. Those are beautiful, I most likely would have spent even more.
    Frou

• seamommy
    13 years ago

I know I would have spent more too. I went nuts at a Hobby Lobby about 6 months ago and still haven't found a use for a lot of the beads I bought - but golly, they are so pretty!! Love that hematite! Frankly, I believe you are a model of self control after all. Cheryl

• User
    13 years ago

I think you got a lot of value for $16. I love the red flower beads.