Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Ideas for using old silver trays

Posted by benannie MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 16:12

Just joined this most interesting group. I saw some wind chimes made out of old silver ware and trays. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas for using up a very large round tray or a regtangular one...Don't think I need more than one wind chime, even though I love the ones someone posted. Thanks in advance. BENannie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Ideas for using old silver trays

Well you could make a base out of vases and plates and use the tray as the top for a nice side table or plant stand for your porch or deck. Or hang it in a fruit tree to scare away birds.
I'm sure there will be lots of ideas for you. I've never used a metal tray to make something.
Kathy

o

I've really wanted to try this idea for a while. Mosaic the inside. It could be used as a table top or other display.

There are a lot of examples out there, this is just one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic tray

o

I have a dining room chair that I want to make into a chair planter, but it has no slats across the backrest. I am thinking of getting a mirror to use for the back of the chair, and it would reflect the flowers I plant on the seat of the chair. The same thing could be done with a rectangular silver tray. Wouldn't THAT be gorgeous??
-Sprout...(Linda)

o

I have been seeing silver trays used as chalkboards lately, so I googled 'silver tray chalkboards' and
sure enough there were several there with directions.

o

You could drill little holes at the corners and attach small chains, bring the ends of the (4) chains together in one "S" hook and hang from a tree or shepherd's hook and you have one classy birdfeeding tray.

A while back, I had 3 silver trays and I mounted them on metal rods at different heights (approx. 1-2-3 feet). I slanted the trays so that when it rained, one tray would empty onto another - kind of like a rain chain, done with trays. I planted flowers at the base of the taller rods. It was lovely and I got a lot of compliments on that one. Still thinkin...
-Sprout...(Linda)

o

Besides windchimes and birdfeeders we use them for roofs of birdhouses. Also you can string two or three or what ever number and size you want and drill a hole in each end and then attach fish leaders so they twirl in the breeze(wal marts and most any discount store) and hang them on end for a silvery suncatcher. You can even hang silverware at the bottom to make a windchime/suncatcher.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here