Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyandme2

stuff I brought back from Connecticut

mommyandme2
10 years ago

While I have picked up a good bit of roadside junk here in Texas such as beverage cans, copper wire & misc. hardware, finding the kind of used household stuff that we junkers are looking for, made of glass & metal, has been impossible. In 5 years, all I've found locally is plastic stuff. Here is what I brought back after a 2 week visit to Connecticut. The veggie steamer, 2 metal fan blades, & 3 tart pans will be turned into flowers. I forget what I needed the 2 wire whisks for, but they will be turned into something. The little watering can has Texas Blue Bonnets painted on it so I had to grab that. The toadstool salt & pepper set need only a gnome to be complete. The pieces of glass will be combined with some pieces I already have to make various things. I'll post pictures when I get things put together. - Laura

Comments (9)

• cnm1
    10 years ago

Great stuff!! LOL at ". I forget what I needed the 2 wire whisks for". I do that all the time!!!

• gardnlvr50
    10 years ago

What is it about Texans that they won't throw an old cheese grater out the window? I can never find anything other than a single shoe and hammers. I did see a really great shabby old step ladder once on the side of the freeway but didn't have time to stop.

• mommyandme2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hee-Hee ! It's not like I Really expect people to toss them out windows onto the road, but couldn't they add their rusty graters to their tag sale ? LOL I have tried tag sales, thrift stores & flea markets. People down here really hang onto to their metal junk. Never have found any decent glass either. However, I picked up a small pile of clay flower pots that was next to a dumpster a couple of weeks ago. I'm grateful for that.

• jlily
    10 years ago

Wonderful pieces! Lucky you. I'll be waiting to see what you make with them. JLily

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Great finds. In my part of Texas we have lots of garage sales, but mostly new stuff is put out. We have a second hand store that offers lots of goodies if you can beat the other junkers there!!!! Will be fun to see what you make from your finds.

• nonacook
    10 years ago

Great stuff!
    I can find some glass here but recently prices have really
    gone up.
    I never see tart pans of any size--I would love to do some flowers!

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Now you have to show us what you made. Or is that in another thread? I have toadstool salt and peppers. Didn't think of combining them with a gnome, tho I am thinking of changing the colors.
    Great haul, and good luck finding more things in TExas.
    Kathy

• mommyandme2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't been able to put anything together yet. First of all, the landlord is going to replace the wooden fence that surrounds our patio, so I have to take down all my "flowering vines" as well as all of the things that are nailed to or screwed to the fence. I also have to move all the potted plants, etc. Right now I'm laid up with an exceptionally bad case of sciatica. As soon as we get ourselves together, I'll post pictures. - Laura

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

I can relate to the sciatica and have found a solution that has worked wonders for me. It is basically accupressure and hurts like the dickens but is worth the pain for relieving the sciatica sooner. Mash around on your back, hip, butt area until you find the most sore spot, then take a tennis ball and center it on the sore spot and roll on it-laying on floor or sitting in chair depending on location. It will hurt but as the muscle relaxes it gets better. Then ice area. Do this 3 times a day and it will be well before you know it. If you sit a lot you can roll up a towel and put it under your legs near the front of the chair. This gently stretches out the muscles. Hope you are well soon.