Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldcrafty

Fairy Garden and frog planter

oldcrafty
12 years ago

I promised my GD a fairy garden. I got up Saturday morning and loaded all the parts for making one. After many GS and thrift store visits I had just the right pieces. I used an old #3 wash tub that has seen it's better days, but packed with character with all of it's dents and bangs. I lugged potting soil and plants and all my supplies and headed for her house for a planting day. Prior to going I got my river and walking path assembled. Being she is 6 yrears old I was afraid that during the watering process she might have the glass pieces and the rocks flying everywhere! So I took an old stiff plastic placemat, like you buy at $ Tree. cut in the appropriate shape and glued, (with GEII silicone) all the stones in place! Worked wonderfully.

{{gwi:166614}}

SHE LOVED IT!!!!!!

A few posts back I posted pics of 2 frog planters I re-painted. My GD requested hers be re-painted too. Only she wanted hers to look like a princess!!! Boy I had to put my thinking cap on.....cause I sure didn't want to disappoint her! This is what I came up with.

{{gwi:166616}}

{{gwi:166618}}

She was one HAPPY little girl!

I painted the little bird house. The fairy house in the background sat at the thrift store for several months with a 2.50 price tag on it, finally one day they had an everything .50 sale day and I raced to get the fairy house!

Comments (14)

• kylslil1
    12 years ago

Oh wow....can I be your GD for a weekend and you make me one?!?!?!?!?! This is great! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the frog planter. The pink with that green is just terrific. The washtub makes a fabulous setting for the fairy garden...and you're right all the pieces are perfect for this, such good finds.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

WOW...what an awesome Grandma you are! LOVE the fairy garden and the Princess Frog is just too cute! I am sure your granddaughter feels like she's a princess with such a great fairy garden of her own!

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

Both projects are fabulous. I especially like the princess frog. How cute!!

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Both are so dang cute!!!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Bet your GD was grinnin' ear-to-ear with a 'princess smile!' I can see that she would love this! You did good, oldcrafty, & I think that pink tiara is a hoot on that lip-sticked froggy! LOL! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Ohhh how wonderful. That is one lucky little girl to have such a fantastic, creative grandma putting some magic in her life. The Princess Frog is adorable, and just perfect to complete the setting.

This gave me a big smile, and one of those warm fuzzy feelings as it was made with so much love.
    hugs, Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I think the beautiful Princess frog is keeping busy watching over her beautiful fairy garden for another Princess,your 6 yr. old GD! So glad she loved it as I do too! Jan

• imjustsam
    12 years ago

Of course she loved it. Are you kidding. That is just terrific and way to wait out the thrift store for an unbelievable deal.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

This is something my GF came up with 1 year for little girls for a Pepperdine boutique. Take a headband & yard or 2 of tulle or net & sew it on the headband, add a sprig of greenery or some fake flowers & your 6 yr old little princess will have a ton of fun. GF had to go home & make 50 more as the boutique lasted over the weekend she ended up taking some more orders too. Could use buttons or beads across top of headband. Simple & quick & just running around with it flying in the back makes little ones feel so special. She ran out of headbands so made some with coated wire & covered with the tulle she sewed a comb on the front so it would attach to the hair. Make short enough so don't drag on the floor & trip the child. Might have to add a bit of tulle to the frog's tiara (she might insist!) Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

What a wonderful idea to use the plastic placemats as a base for your "water" and "path!" I might have to steal that idea. I love your fairy garden. Everything is so adorable and nicely put together. I even like how the tub is dented and kind of crushed ... just the way a good fairy would like it! And that frog ... that is just too cute for words! I just LOVE it. Your GD is going to have the most awesome memories of time with her grandma. Lucky girl!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

They are both adorable! What a lucky gd you have!
    I love the idea of gluing the stones to a backing to keep it in place. they go everywere when I water too. Just last night I was wondering what I could do with some tile backer mesh that I pulled the tiles off. Seems obvious now!
    Kathy

• LindaArb
    12 years ago

What a wonderfully, creative mind you have!
    Just luv both projects...your Fairy Garden is magical!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

Toooo cute!!! Did you put something in the bottom of the tub to make it lighter before you put in the soil?
    Love the frog!!

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No I didn't. My GD lives 65 miles away. So I just packed up all my supples and filled it up after I got on the patio. Then planted and put my pieces in. I took a piece of newspaer and drew around the edge of the tub to use as a pattern and played with which pieces I was gonna use and the arrangement before I left home. That way the assembly went fatser.