Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fairy Garden and frog planter

Posted by oldcrafty 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 16:47

I promised my GD a fairy garden. I got up Saturday morning and loaded all the parts for making one. After many GS and thrift store visits I had just the right pieces. I used an old #3 wash tub that has seen it's better days, but packed with character with all of it's dents and bangs. I lugged potting soil and plants and all my supplies and headed for her house for a planting day. Prior to going I got my river and walking path assembled. Being she is 6 yrears old I was afraid that during the watering process she might have the glass pieces and the rocks flying everywhere! So I took an old stiff plastic placemat, like you buy at $ Tree. cut in the appropriate shape and glued, (with GEII silicone) all the stones in place! Worked wonderfully.

Photobucket

SHE LOVED IT!!!!!!

A few posts back I posted pics of 2 frog planters I re-painted. My GD requested hers be re-painted too. Only she wanted hers to look like a princess!!! Boy I had to put my thinking cap on.....cause I sure didn't want to disappoint her! This is what I came up with.

Photobucket

Photobucket

She was one HAPPY little girl!

I painted the little bird house. The fairy house in the background sat at the thrift store for several months with a 2.50 price tag on it, finally one day they had an everything .50 sale day and I raced to get the fairy house!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fairy Garden and frog planter

Oh wow....can I be your GD for a weekend and you make me one?!?!?!?!?! This is great! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the frog planter. The pink with that green is just terrific. The washtub makes a fabulous setting for the fairy garden...and you're right all the pieces are perfect for this, such good finds.

o

WOW...what an awesome Grandma you are! LOVE the fairy garden and the Princess Frog is just too cute! I am sure your granddaughter feels like she's a princess with such a great fairy garden of her own!

o

Both projects are fabulous. I especially like the princess frog. How cute!!

o

Both are so dang cute!!!

o

Bet your GD was grinnin' ear-to-ear with a 'princess smile!' I can see that she would love this! You did good, oldcrafty, & I think that pink tiara is a hoot on that lip-sticked froggy! LOL! Jeanne S.

o

Ohhh how wonderful. That is one lucky little girl to have such a fantastic, creative grandma putting some magic in her life. The Princess Frog is adorable, and just perfect to complete the setting.

This gave me a big smile, and one of those warm fuzzy feelings as it was made with so much love.
hugs, Karen

o

I think the beautiful Princess frog is keeping busy watching over her beautiful fairy garden for another Princess,your 6 yr. old GD! So glad she loved it as I do too! Jan

o

Of course she loved it. Are you kidding. That is just terrific and way to wait out the thrift store for an unbelievable deal.

o
RE:Princess!

This is something my GF came up with 1 year for little girls for a Pepperdine boutique. Take a headband & yard or 2 of tulle or net & sew it on the headband, add a sprig of greenery or some fake flowers & your 6 yr old little princess will have a ton of fun. GF had to go home & make 50 more as the boutique lasted over the weekend she ended up taking some more orders too. Could use buttons or beads across top of headband. Simple & quick & just running around with it flying in the back makes little ones feel so special. She ran out of headbands so made some with coated wire & covered with the tulle she sewed a comb on the front so it would attach to the hair. Make short enough so don't drag on the floor & trip the child. Might have to add a bit of tulle to the frog's tiara (she might insist!) Jan

o

What a wonderful idea to use the plastic placemats as a base for your "water" and "path!" I might have to steal that idea. I love your fairy garden. Everything is so adorable and nicely put together. I even like how the tub is dented and kind of crushed ... just the way a good fairy would like it! And that frog ... that is just too cute for words! I just LOVE it. Your GD is going to have the most awesome memories of time with her grandma. Lucky girl!

o

They are both adorable! What a lucky gd you have!
I love the idea of gluing the stones to a backing to keep it in place. they go everywere when I water too. Just last night I was wondering what I could do with some tile backer mesh that I pulled the tiles off. Seems obvious now!
Kathy

o

What a wonderfully, creative mind you have!
Just luv both projects...your Fairy Garden is magical!

o

Toooo cute!!! Did you put something in the bottom of the tub to make it lighter before you put in the soil?
Love the frog!!

o

No I didn't. My GD lives 65 miles away. So I just packed up all my supples and filled it up after I got on the patio. Then planted and put my pieces in. I took a piece of newspaer and drew around the edge of the tub to use as a pattern and played with which pieces I was gonna use and the arrangement before I left home. That way the assembly went fatser.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here